From: Ted Zlatanov on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 11:33:41 -0400 Charlton Wilbur <cwilbur(a)chromatico.net> wrote:

CW> It has become apparent that coming up with terse bits of wisdom that fit
CW> comfortably within four lines may be my only real shot at immortality.

Hey, it worked for Martial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial)

Ted
From: David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:25:52 -0400, Charlton Wilbur
<cwilbur(a)chromatico.net> wrote:

[...]

> The fundamental rule, however, is that before you type a single
> character of Perl you should have a clear, unambiguous statement, agreed
> to by the business owner of the process you're automating or
> facilitating, of what the requirements are for the phase of development
> that you're in.

In most orginisations that will never ever happen.

From: Charlton Wilbur on

DF> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:25:52 -0400, Charlton Wilbur
DF> <cwilbur(a)chromatico.net> wrote:

>> The fundamental rule, however, is that before you type a single
>> character of Perl you should have a clear, unambiguous statement,
>> agreed to by the business owner of the process you're automating
>> or facilitating, of what the requirements are for the phase of
>> development that you're in.

DF> In most orginisations that will never ever happen.

I refuse to believe that my organization is that unusual. Admittedly,
the statements tend to start out at a high-level, but the high-level
requirements and most of the medium-level requirements are in place
before any coding starts. A lot of the low-level requirements are
hashed out between developers and business owners when the need for them
becomes apparent.

Do people in "most organizations" *really* start coding madly before
anyone has a clear idea of what the problem to be solved is?

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur(a)chromatico.net
From: David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:44:04 -0700, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> And I cannot imagine how email or the Internet or Usenet would work
> without any written specs and protocols.

Usenet and email both where cases where existing protocols where
documented after they where implimented rather then the other way
around.
From: RedGrittyBrick on
On 12/04/2010 21:26, David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:44:04 -0700, Jürgen Exner<jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> And I cannot imagine how email or the Internet or Usenet would work
>> without any written specs and protocols.
>
> Usenet and email both where cases where existing protocols where
> documented after they where implimented rather then the other way
> around.

I believe Jürgen's point is that the specification for those protocols
was agreed on and written down. Subsequent developers of e-mail software
have benefited enormously from this. As have users.

Contrast this with proprietary email systems such as cc:Mail where there
were few, if any, directly interoperable implementations from other
vendors. I remember the era before corporations adopted Intenet mail
standards - it was a mess of complex expensive e-mail gateways.

Contrast also with OSI X.400 where you had to pay to see the standards
and where the standards specified huge numbers of options to satisfy
various vendors, with the outcome that few implementations implemented
all the options and consequently interoperability was limited.

As I understand it, the IETF standards process always required several
working implementations of a protocol before the draft standard could be
ratified. The RFCs were, and are, a vitally important part of the
Internet's success.

--
RGB
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last