From: vkrm1 on
I have a file that has latin characters (special characters like o~
i.e., tilda on the top of o)in a flat text file (in US english) in DOS
environment. When used dos2unix command, the latin characters are not
exist anymore in the file.
My unix system is loaded with Solaris 9 and it has some of the locales
loaded.
Why are these special characters missing when used dos2unix?

I also noticed when any shell script is executed in my solaris 9
environment, I get a message saying, "Could not set locale correctly".

Tried to set LANG, LC_ALL variable in .cshrc and .login.
When I checked the locale, it displayed as follows:
LANG=C
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_*="C"
LC_ALL=C

Would someone help in listing all the locale's that are needed to
install to get all Latin characters translated for US English. I
noticed several packages like UTF8 ISO8859-1 and 15 for US and not
sure which ones are absolutely needed for locale to work correctly.

I greatly appreciate any help on this!

From: Jorgen Moquist on
vkrm1(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a file that has latin characters (special characters like o~
> i.e., tilda on the top of o)in a flat text file (in US english) in DOS
> environment. When used dos2unix command, the latin characters are not
> exist anymore in the file.
> My unix system is loaded with Solaris 9 and it has some of the locales
> loaded.
> Why are these special characters missing when used dos2unix?
>
> I also noticed when any shell script is executed in my solaris 9
> environment, I get a message saying, "Could not set locale correctly".
>
> Tried to set LANG, LC_ALL variable in .cshrc and .login.
> When I checked the locale, it displayed as follows:
> LANG=C
> LC_MESSAGES=C
> LC_*="C"
> LC_ALL=C
>
> Would someone help in listing all the locale's that are needed to
> install to get all Latin characters translated for US English. I
> noticed several packages like UTF8 ISO8859-1 and 15 for US and not
> sure which ones are absolutely needed for locale to work correctly.
>
> I greatly appreciate any help on this!

an example.

$ cat /etc/TIMEZONE

TZ=Europe/Stockholm
CMASK=022
LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1

/Jýrgen

Pages: 1
Prev: svc.startd fatal error on Solaris 10
Next: HBA's