From: Tommcdow47 on
Solution to my problem:
Recently I purchased a custom built laptop with windows 7 installed. I
requested no other programs in the build. When my PC arrived it had a trial
version of office installed so I uninstalled it and installed my office 2003
with outlook and could not get outlook to work. The problem was caused by
files left behind when the office(trial version) was removed. The uninstall
does not remove all the office 2007 files. Certain files left behind are not
backward compatiable with office 2003. After spending a lot of time trying to
find a solution I was annoyed and contacted Lenovo to find out why they put
office 2007 trial version in my PC even though I requested no additional
software from them. They told me that my version of windows 7 has Office 2007
trial version bundled by microsoft with windows 7………. I anticipate as win 7
becomes more popular more people will have the same problem.

1. Remove the profile by going to control panel\mail\show profiles and
delete the profile.

2. Locate the file mapisvc.inf in C:\Program Files\Common
Files\System\Msmapi\1033.

3. Rename it to mapisvc.old or whatever you want.

4. Remove MSMAPI32.DLL in the same folder.

5. go to win 7 install/uninstall programs and highlight the outlook program
and click on the repair button.
6. go into the control panel applet for mail and you should now be able to
add a outlook data file

7.Restart Outlook and go back through the setup to create the profile again
and that should fix.

"Tommcdow47" wrote:

> installed office 2003 standard (sp3) in windows 7 and get a trouble message
> when launching. A popup box called configuring outlook comes up with the task
> "migrating account settings" highlited. This is followed by the trouble
> message box called microsoft office outlook stating "unable to open your
> default email folders. Outlook would not start because a data file to send
> and receive could not be found". I went back into the windows control
> panel>user accounts>mail and verified a pop email exists but there no entries
> under the data tab. I selected add (under data tab) and the only entry to
> select from was "Business contact manager database" so I clicked add and got
> the trouble message " windows shell common DLL stoped working". At this point
> I don't know if 2003 is compatible in win 7(tried running outlook in the xp
> compatable mode with no luck. I still have the old PC running and am able to
> copy over a file if needed. From win 7 control panel mail ....I can add a
> new profile and setup email accounts but when I try to add outlook data
> files,, only one choice comes up called "busness contact manager database"
> when I click add,, the trouble
> message "windows shell common DLL stoped working. If i now go back to the
> data file tab i see the business contact manager in there but it's status is
> not available. One note, the PC came with a trial office installed which i
> uninstalled. I have also uninstalled 2003 twice and run the repair on it with
> no sucess

Pages: 1
Prev: Renaming RSS Feeds1
Next: solution found