From: gerry on
In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how do
we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ?
There are no dependencies between the apps.
In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the
available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup project
, and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None except one
set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the development is started
for each web project in the solution. I have even unchecked Build for all
projects under configuration.

Gerry

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Apr 21, 2:11 pm, "gerry" <ge...(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
> In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how do
> we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ?
> There are no dependencies between the apps.
> In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the
> available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup project
> , and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None except one
> set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the development is started
> for each web project in the solution.  I have even unchecked Build for all
> projects under configuration.
>
> Gerry

In the top menu Project - ASP.NET Configuration you will find
Application Configuration - Take application offline

Is this what you need?
From: gerry on
thanks alexey

that doesn't seem to help.
I did this for all web projects/sites in the solution and F5 still starts up
an instance of the dev server for each of them.
It does do something because if I do it for the project/site I am debugging
I get a "The resource cannot be found. ... /Default.aspx" error but i still
get all the dev server instances as well.

From: Gregory A. Beamer on

"gerry" <germ2(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> In a solution that contains multiple web projects ( apps or sites ) , how
> do we prevent all of them from being started when hitting F5 ?
> There are no dependencies between the apps.
> In solution properties setting the solution Startup Project to any of the
> available options has no effect. Current Selection , Single startup
> project , and Multiple startup projects with all project Actions = None
> except one set to Start. In all cases a seperate instance of the
> development is started for each web project in the solution. I have even
> unchecked Build for all projects under configuration.

I am going to give my two cents, which you may not like, but it comes from
tons of experience in both Visual Studio and .NET.

Web "apps" are UI. They are not applications. The application lies in the
libraries holding the business code. If you have your business code in the
web application, you have made the assumption that the "application" can
only be used on the web, which is a box you don't have to constrain yourself
to. If you have too much code in the code behind/beside, consider
refactoring to libraries so you can add other faceplates (UI projects).

When viewed in this way, you have one web application per solution. They can
all share the same app libraries, helper libraries, data access libraries,
etc., but it is one UI application per solution. And, if you need to test
across apps (single sign on), you can temporarily pull into the same
solution and have them spin up or create another solution for interaction.
All a solution file is, in Visual Studio, is an organization unit. A project
can be seen as the same thing in some instances, but generally a single
project creates a single assembly (there are ways around this, but 99% off
the people are developing this way). A solution is a solution. It solves a
problem from soup to nuts. A project does not have to belong to only ONE
solution. In general, however, a solution contains ONLY one UI project, as
that is the means of "talking" to users.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

From: gerry on
Hi Greg, not sure how a personal application design philosophy answers a
question about visual studio functionality but thanks for the reply anyway
;-)