From: ~hp-hdx~ on
Occasionally when i load an os on a laptop, it gets to where it will write
to the hard drive,
and then it will go no farther.
This happened to me 3 times, twice with Toshiba's and i forgot who made the
other one, but
each time i bought the recovery disks and the os loaded.
Linix wouldn't load eaither.
Any idea why this happens?
Al

From: TVeblen on
On 5/10/2010 9:20 AM, ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
> Occasionally when i load an os on a laptop, it gets to where it will
> write to the hard drive,
> and then it will go no farther.
> This happened to me 3 times, twice with Toshiba's and i forgot who made
> the other one, but
> each time i bought the recovery disks and the os loaded.
> Linix wouldn't load eaither.
> Any idea why this happens?
> Al

This can happen if the OS you are trying to install needs an updated
chipset driver and does not contain a driver in the install package that
it finds compatible with your hardware.

From: Agent_C on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 09:20:56 -0400, "~hp-hdx~" <bogus(a)dont.use> wrote:

>Any idea why this happens?

What OS?

What type of hard drive?

A_C
From: ~hp-hdx~ on
various hard drives, eide, 40 to 80 gigs,
I tried win95, win98se, win ME, xphome, and XP pro.
also tried loading linix.

From: ~hp-hdx~ on

"TVeblen" <Killtherobots(a)hal.net> wrote in message
> On 5/10/2010 9:20 AM, ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
>> Occasionally when i load an os on a laptop, it gets to where it will
>> write to the hard drive,
>> and then it will go no farther.
>> This happened to me 3 times, twice with Toshiba's and i forgot who made
>> the other one, but
>> each time i bought the recovery disks and the os loaded.
>> Linix wouldn't load eaither.
>> Any idea why this happens?
>> Al
>
> This can happen if the OS you are trying to install needs an updated
> chipset driver and does not contain a driver in the install package that
> it finds compatible with your hardware.

So basically, one has no other course of action but to buy the restore
disks, as I did, from the manufactuer, right? Were I to find the
chipset drivers, and was loading XP, would they be loaded right in the
beinging of the install when it asks if you want to load other drivers? If
so,
at that point, can they be loaded from a usb thumb drive?