From: intruder83-help on
Hi everybody.
I have a problem with sorting an array of names. I have a txt file with a
names e.g. "Jack, John, Bob, Adam, Paul".
All i have to do is write the names into the individual cells of new array
and than sort it by an alphabet using for loop and write it out into a new
txt file.
I just after figuring out how to separete a names and my source code looks
like:

string delimiter = ",";
string path = @"c:\notsorted.txt";
string r = sr.ReadLine();
string[] names = r.Split(delimiter.ToCharArray());

but i have no idea how to sort it with for loop.
If there is anyone who can help me it would be great!
Thanks
From: Alberto Poblacion on
"intruder83-help" <intruder83-help(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2F82D017-1985-40CA-B871-20355E7DD139(a)microsoft.com...
> but i have no idea how to sort it with for loop.
> If there is anyone who can help me it would be great!

First of all you have to choose a sorting algorithm. There are plenty of
them; for instance, you can find the description for Bubble Sort in this
page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblesort . The wikipedia article
contains some sample code in various programming languages. Follow the links
at the bottom of the page for other sorting algorithms.

From: Patrice on
It is already part of the Array class :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.array.sort(VS.80).aspx

--
Patrice

le message de news:2F82D017-1985-40CA-B871-20355E7DD139(a)microsoft.com...

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 3/6/2010 5:35 AM, intruder83-help wrote:
> Hi everybody.
> I have a problem with sorting an array of names. I have a txt file with a
> names e.g. "Jack, John, Bob, Adam, Paul".
> All i have to do is write the names into the individual cells of new array
> and than sort it by an alphabet using for loop and write it out into a new
> txt file.
> I just after figuring out how to separete a names and my source code looks
> like:
>
> string delimiter = ",";
> string path = @"c:\notsorted.txt";
> string r = sr.ReadLine();
> string[] names = r.Split(delimiter.ToCharArray());
>
> but i have no idea how to sort it with for loop.
> If there is anyone who can help me it would be great!
> Thanks

Why not use a list instead?

List<string> names = r.Split(delimiter.ToCharArray()).ToList();
names.Sort();

--
Mike