From: John Grandy on
Brand new box. Dell Precision T3500.

I came into work this morning, and apparently Windows Update had run
overnight.

Now, I have no sound capability whatsoever.

I go to Sounds applet and on Volume tab it says "No Audio Device". On all
tabs, every option is disabled/greyed-out : Device Volume, Speaker Settings,
Sound Playback, Sound Recording, MIDI music playback, Voice playback, Voice
recording.

From: Shenan Stanley on
John Grandy wrote:
> Brand new box. Dell Precision T3500.
>
> I came into work this morning, and apparently Windows Update had run
> overnight.
>
> Now, I have no sound capability whatsoever.
>
> I go to Sounds applet and on Volume tab it says "No Audio Device".
> On all tabs, every option is disabled/greyed-out : Device Volume,
> Speaker Settings, Sound Playback, Sound Recording, MIDI music
> playback, Voice playback, Voice recording.

Download and install the latest hardware device driver for your computer
from Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PREC_T3500&os=WV64&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Pick your OS and get the driver appropriate for your system. Download,
save, run, install, reboot.

Likely this:
ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/DRVR_WIN_R216292.EXE

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: DL on
And after that amend Winupdate settings to install critical updates only,
NOT driver updates