From: franktee on
Hi all
I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
Here is my problem
Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but
when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be unnstalled
because it is NOT INSTALLED.
Appreciate any helpful response.
TIA.
OS Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition
franktee
KWV
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might resolve?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer?

Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

• How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer as a
troubleshooting step
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Ǝиçεl on
How to remove Windows XP SP3 from your computer

From: franktee on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might resolve?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> computer?
>
> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
>
> • How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer as a
> troubleshooting step
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> franktee wrote:
> > I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
> > Here is my problem
> > Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed, but
> > when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be
> > unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED.
> > Appreciate any helpful response.
> > TIA.
> > OS Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition
>
> .
> Problem solved
Did a repair install which returned me to ie6 and sp2.
Then reinstalled sp3.
Thanks for all responses.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
franktee wrote:
>>> I need to revert back to ie6 from ie7 but have to uninstall sp3 first.
>>> Here is my problem
>>> Winver and add or remove programs both tell me that SP3 is installed,
>>> but
>>> when I attempt to uninstall SP3 the computer tells me it cannot be
>>> unnstalled because it is NOT INSTALLED.
>>> Appreciate any helpful response.
OS Winxp Pro, Media Center Edition

>> What problems are you having that you think uninstalled IE7 might
>> resolve?

>> Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
>> computer?
>>
>> Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when
>> you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)
>>
>> • How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer as a
>> troubleshooting step
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>>

> Problem solved
> Did a repair install which returned me to ie6 and sp2.
> Then reinstalled sp3.

[OK, we'll bottom-post]

Good luck with that!

• How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version
of Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

See this recent, related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/de6ac8ecded1e8ac