From: hakan.aydin on
Hello,

I recently purchased a spartan-3e starter kit from Xilinx. (I have so
far been unimpressed with the reference designs supplied with the kit,
but that's another subject...)

I am trying to use the ethernet connector on the board to communicate
with a PC, and so far I have been unsuccessful. I do not want to use a
soft-core like picoblaze, I just want to be able to communicate using
the ethernet port. I looked for a reference design on the internet and
the closest I could come up with was the fpga4fun site here:

http://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T.html

however, I couldn't get that to work. I also tried using the ethernet
ip core from opencores.org, but that doesn't even fit on the device on
the starter kit (xc3s500e)

If anyone successfully used the ethernet connector with the spartan-3e
starter kit for data communication, I would be grateful if you could
provide an example or at least some guidance on how to proceed.

Best regards,

From: Antti on
hakan.aydin(a)gmail.com schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased a spartan-3e starter kit from Xilinx. (I have so
> far been unimpressed with the reference designs supplied with the kit,
> but that's another subject...)
>
> I am trying to use the ethernet connector on the board to communicate
> with a PC, and so far I have been unsuccessful. I do not want to use a
> soft-core like picoblaze, I just want to be able to communicate using
> the ethernet port. I looked for a reference design on the internet and
> the closest I could come up with was the fpga4fun site here:
>
> http://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T.html
>
> however, I couldn't get that to work. I also tried using the ethernet
> ip core from opencores.org, but that doesn't even fit on the device on
> the starter kit (xc3s500e)
>
> If anyone successfully used the ethernet connector with the spartan-3e
> starter kit for data communication, I would be grateful if you could
> provide an example or at least some guidance on how to proceed.
>
> Best regards,

you want like my answers but, -

if you want to use ethernet then you have almost no choices other than
use also some softcore processor.

the onlys oftcore-ethernet solution that will fit into s3--500e is the
MicroBlaze + OPB ethernet (or ethernet lite) there is ready to go
system that can load uclinux and works fully with ethernet.

if you are trying to use ethernet without EDK then the time you spend
(waste) is way more than the price of EDK. of course unless you just
want to play around and your goal is wasting time.

I am surprised about your comments regarding the reference designs, I
think specially the designs from Ken Chapman provided for this board
are really cool, I just ysterday looked up the frequency couner design
from the s3e starterkit redfesign, well only to get the super cool
SPAR_DCM_TEST thing to work, ok I agree the online refdesign was for
ISE 8.1 so I had some trouble getting it working on ISE 8.2 but still
there are plenty of design to learn from.

Antti

From: u_stadler@yahoo.de on
hi

where could i find the designs from Ken Chapman?

thanks
urban

From: Antti Lukats on
<u_stadler(a)yahoo.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> hi
>
> where could i find the designs from Ken Chapman?
>
> thanks
> urban

www.xilinx.com

s3e starterkit
refdesigns
:)

or if that is too complicated click:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/s3estarter/reference_designs.htm

note the coutner design doesnt compile on 8.2 you need to add lots of ports
to the DCM_SPAR3_TEST primitive to pass it on 8.2 tools, but when fixed it
works as described

Antti