From: Kapil Hari Paranjape on
Hello,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> It worked beautifully for a week. At a new boot today
> the 32bit machine had taken the former IP address of
> the 64bit machine, and viceversa.

> A system maintainer suggested to change the eth#
> connections of the two machines (Desktopp,
> Administration, Networking) from DHCP to Static,

This sounds like a correct suggestion. If you assign addresses to
machines dynamically then it is difficult to treat them as "servers"
except through some dynamic DNS services.

> Well, I could delete all shh configuration and keys
> and do that again, though for how long?

You need not generate the keys again. You only need to reassign the
keys in your "known_hosts" file appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kapil.
P.S. I removed debian-science from the cc as I couldn't see what it
had to do with debian-science.

The "Static" assignment was on the hypothesis that the
two IP addresses that the two machines were used to
take were internal to the modem. Actually, changing
from DHCP to Static has broken any connection to
internet, i.e., if I understand, that "Static" is to
the eth# connection, while my provider assigns me a
dynamic address.

The server should only serve between the two machines
at the router.

Perhaps, if I understand your suggestion, the
solution, any time the IP address changes, is to "You
only need
to reassign the keys in your "known_hosts" file
appropriately." I do not intend the Apache2 for
external use.

Thanks
francesco

--- Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil(a)imsc.res.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > It worked beautifully for a week. At a new boot
> today
> > the 32bit machine had taken the former IP address
> of
> > the 64bit machine, and viceversa.
>
> > A system maintainer suggested to change the eth#
> > connections of the two machines (Desktopp,
> > Administration, Networking) from DHCP to Static,
>
> This sounds like a correct suggestion. If you assign
> addresses to
> machines dynamically then it is difficult to treat
> them as "servers"
> except through some dynamic DNS services.
>
> > Well, I could delete all shh configuration and
> keys
> > and do that again, though for how long?
>
> You need not generate the keys again. You only need
> to reassign the
> keys in your "known_hosts" file appropriately.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kapil.
> P.S. I removed debian-science from the cc as I
> couldn't see what it
> had to do with debian-science.

Hello,

I read your mail more carefully this time!

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Surprisingly, after an initial period where the i386 took any one
> of the two internal IP addresses (indipendently which machine was
> started first), now the two machines behave as if they had a static
> address (it is dhcp). I have not investigated the Zyxel router, it
> is as if it had a memory or a register, or he likes me.

It seems to me that the DHCP address is assigned by the Zyxel Router.
In that case, you can go to the Web interface of that router and
configure the DHCP address to be assigned based on the MAC address of
the machine that connects. That way the assignment becomes
effectively static.

I hope this helps since I still do not fully grasp what your network
"topology" is.

Regards,

Kapil.

Kapil:
I feel you are suggesting me the right way.

Because it is fast, I have reconstructed the keys and
reestablished the ssh connection between the two
machines.

Then I entered the config of the the Zyxel Prestige
660H (cable connection ADSL) via http, giving the
password that I used at the first connection.

DHCP shows a table with 3 columns and two rows

Host Name / IP Address / MAC Address

with data for the two machines (IP address corresponds
to "inet addr" as from "ifconfig", MAC Addess has the
hexadecimals correctly, while Hostame is empty. I
tried to put in the "hostame" of the two machines,
though it was as write forbidden. I operated from
Gnome/Iceweasel as user. Is that a problem of
permission or should I look elsewhere in the router
config?

Thanks
francesco

--- Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil(a)imsc.res.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read your mail more carefully this time!
>
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > It worked beautifully for a week. At a new boot
> today
> > the 32bit machine had taken the former IP address
> of
> > the 64bit machine, and viceversa.
>
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Surprisingly, after an initial period where the
> i386 took any one
> > of the two internal IP addresses (indipendently
> which machine was
> > started first), now the two machines behave as if
> they had a static
> > address (it is dhcp). I have not investigated the
> Zyxel router, it
> > is as if it had a memory or a register, or he
> likes me.
>
> It seems to me that the DHCP address is assigned by
> the Zyxel Router.
> In that case, you can go to the Web interface of
> that router and
> configure the DHCP address to be assigned based on
> the MAC address of
> the machine that connects. That way the assignment
> becomes
> effectively static.
>
> I hope this helps since I still do not fully grasp
> what your network
> "topology" is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kapil.

Hello,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> DHCP shows a table with 3 columns and two rows
>
> Host Name / IP Address / MAC Address
>
> with data for the two machines (IP address corresponds
> to "inet addr" as from "ifconfig", MAC Addess has the
> hexadecimals correctly, while Hostame is empty. I
> tried to put in the "hostame" of the two machines,
> though it was as write forbidden. I operated from
> Gnome/Iceweasel as user. Is that a problem of
> permission or should I look elsewhere in the router
> config?

Do not try to enter the host name. Look at the other administrative
pages. There should/may be a way to "fix" the IP address assigned to
a given MAC address.

Some explanation. When your machines first are connected to the
router they only have their MAC address. The router provides them
with the IP address. What we want is to make sure that the router
always provides MAC1 with IP1 and MAC2 with IP2.

Regards,

Kapil.