From: Anca Emanuel on
Offtopic.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and kernel 2.6.35-rc1 from kernel.ubuntu.com
Wonking fine (stable, but my webcam still not working).

Using this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild tutorial
to compile the kernel. But no success (it finish the compile but no
deb packages).
I have done it from virtualbox some weeks ago, and grub can not mount.

Is there any tutorial how to build the kernel for Ubuntu 10.04 ?

Please test it yourself in (Ubuntu 10.04):
sudo cfdisk
result: Bad primary partition 1. (any kernel, any enviroment).
From: Willy Tarreau on
Hi Rafael,

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:38:28PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > It's not really advisable to call dot-0 releases "unstable" because
> > it will only result in shifting the adoption point between the user
> > classes above.
>
> IMnshO it's not exactly fair to call them "stable" either. I tend to call them
> "major releases" which basically reflects what they are - events in the
> development process that each start a new merge window. Nothing more, either
> way.

Indeed, just exactly that. Maybe the confusion comes from the title
"Latest Stable Kernel" on kernel.org, which we could rename "Latest
Kernel Release" whatever it reflects ?

Willy

From: David Newall on
Ted Ts'o wrote:
> It is possible to do other types of release strategies, but look at
> Debian Obsolete^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Stable if you want to see what happens
> if you insist on waiting until all release blockers are fixed

I don't know if Ted intended to be snide, but that is how he sounded.
And yet, his comment was a fair reflection of how core developers seem
to feel about stability, namely that a stable kernel is obsolete and
therefore not particularly desirable. (I use the word "stable" in it's
common English meaning, not the almost inexplicable Tux variation.)

I think the truth is that linux kernels are only ever stable as released
by distributions, and then only the more conservative of them. What
comes direct from kernel.org, I mean those called "latest stable", are
an exercise in dissembling. It's stable because someone calls it
stable, even though it crashes and has regressions? That's not stable,
that's just misleading.

Stable kernels *could* be stable. Debian succeeds. If it takes them a
long time, that is only because the core developers fail to release
reasonable quality kernels. Don't sneer at them because they do the
right thing; do the right thing yourself so that they can produce more
timely updates.

I don't expect fair consideration of these comments; why change when
shooting the messenger is so much more satisfying?
From: Martin Steigerwald on
Am Sonntag 11 Juli 2010 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Willy,

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 04:51:42PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I hope that someone answers who actually can take some critique. From
> > the current replies I perceive a lack of that ability.
>
> well, I'll try to do then :-)
>
> There were some threads in the past about kernel releases quality,
> where Linus explained why it could not be completely black or white.
[...]
> You see, there's a kernel for everyone, and for every usage. You just
> have to make your choice. And when you don't know or don't want to
> guess, stick to the distro's kernel.

Wow! Thanks to you and all the others who provided such constructive
feedback.

I need a bit of time to digest and think through it. I will answer then.

Ciao,
From: Alexey Dobriyan on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Marcin Letyns <mletyns(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Last time I tried freebsd it wasn't stable. It had problems with my hard
> drive controler.

This thread needs more anecdotal evidence.