From: Simon Waters on
On Monday 14 December 2009 14:24:34 Jaroslaw Grzabel wrote:

> What postfix does ? Reject all messages until
> I will not be notified and remove the database and let postfix to
> recreate it again.

It refreshes cache at 3 hours by default, so within 3 days jon starts getting
email (and spam potentially). This is configurable.

http://www.postfix.org/verify.8.html

From: Simon Waters on
On Monday 14 December 2009 14:35:39 Simon Waters wrote:

> It refreshes cache at 3 hours by default, so within 3 days jon starts

Oops 3 hours even.

From: Jaroslaw Grzabel on
Simon Waters pisze:
> It refreshes cache at 3 hours by default, so within 3 days jon starts getting
> email (and spam potentially). This is configurable.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/verify.8.html

Yeah, and it works on the other way round... if my customer's server
will go down for more than 3h, my server will store his emails only for
3h. After that it will start reject them with 450.

Regards,
Jarek

From: Noel Jones on
On 12/14/2009 1:02 PM, Jaroslaw Grzabel wrote:
> Simon Waters pisze:
>> It refreshes cache at 3 hours by default, so within 3 days jon starts
>> getting email (and spam potentially). This is configurable.
>>
>> http://www.postfix.org/verify.8.html
>
> Yeah, and it works on the other way round... if my customer's server
> will go down for more than 3h, my server will store his emails only for
> 3h. After that it will start reject them with 450.
>
> Regards,
> Jarek

Valid addresses stay in the positive cache for 31 days by
default[1].

Address verification has no effect on mail already in the queue.

Anyway, a 450 deferral isn't all bad -- it just tells the
sender to try again later. The vast majority of legit senders
will keep trying for several days.

[1] positive caching, of course, causes you to accept+bounce
mail for jon for some time after he gets fired. While this is
not optimal, it's far, far better than just accepting all mail
and bouncing the undeliverables. There is no perfect
solution, but recipient address verification is a reasonable
tool if you are unable to get an actual list.

-- Noel Jones

From: Charles Marcus on
On 12/14/2009, Simon Waters (simonw(a)zynet.net) wrote:
> On Monday 14 December 2009 14:24:34 Jaroslaw Grzabel wrote:
>>
>> What postfix does ? Reject all messages until
>> I will not be notified and remove the database and let postfix to
>> recreate it again.

> It refreshes cache at 3 hours by default,

Is there a way to configure it so that it only falls back to the cache
if it doesn't get a responds from the downstream server?