From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I wish I could help but the only machine I had VS6 installed died, and after several weeks
my outsourced site maintenance has not been able to get the Virtual Machine which it was
reloaded onto actually working. So I can't verify what those error lines contain, and I'm
sorry. It was supposed to be working two days ago, but they never showed up to finish the
(yet another, but final, so they said) installation, and I have been tied up in
family-emergency crisis the last three days (I've been spending more time in hospitals
recently, this time as a visitor, than I've spent in the last few years as a patient)

Key here is you must not put strsafe.h ahead of ANY of the standard Windows header files,
which it looks as if you have done.
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: RB on
>I wish I could help but the only machine I had VS6 installed died,.........
>.........................So I can't verify what those error lines contain, and I'm
>........... I have been tied up in family-emergency crisis the last three days
>(I've been spending more time in hospitals recently, this time as a visitor,
>than I've spent in the last few years as a patient)
Thanks Joe, I will play around and see what I can do, and otherwise
I will have to give up the better Class Wizard and go with VC 2005 of
which I also own now.
I cam empathize with you on your hospital time. I have been there and
done that with both of my parents and also my father in law. It is a
rough time with that sort of stuff, but it also sobers us to realities of life
and helps sometimes to get our parameters in order as our journey
progresses to the end portal that is called by and given different definitions
by different faiths or non faiths. But it is one we all have a final destiny
with.
I pray for strength for you and your family at this time, and I ask God
give you what ever you need at this time in return for the guidance that
you have given me so many times before on technical subjects.
RB

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Thanks for the sympathy. It is not an easy time when you are told a relative has a
terminal condition.

From my own viewpoint, being told you are likely to be dead shortly is very sobering. This
is why I have no qualms about telling people very bluntly that they are wrong. I'm 20
years since one surgery that was mandatory ("or you'll be dead in a year") and 15 years
one that was accidental (I didn't know when I went into the OR if I'd be coming out,
having lost most of my blood supply). So I don't have to maintain any pretenses. WYSIWYG
with me. I've already outlived two projections, both due to living in a city with some of
the world's best hospitals. I seem to be fixed right now, but I realize that I could not
be here tomorrow. I have three linear feet of scar tissue on my body from various
surgeries (one 8" scar has to be counted twice, since the second surgery reused it) and
don't feel I need to be overly polite when things are going wrong. I have a sense of
proportion about what matters.

I heard Jim Lovell (Apollo 13 commander) explain that after his last flight, he doesn't
have any problem coping with any problem; I don't recall his exact words, but they were
along the lines of "I know what serious problems are, and I haven't had one since I
landed". I feel the same way. So while the care is time-consuming, I know how to get
through these crises. This is the fifth "eldercare" situation I've had to handle, and I
pretty much know who I have to talk to, what questions to ask, and what to do with the
answers. Being trained as a problem-solver helps a lot.
joe

From: RB on
I did get my strsafe function to compile with no errors by installing the Platform SDK.
I did have to place the include at the end of the Stdafx.h file like you said though and
I also had to move the Platform SDK include path up ahead of my other includes
on my path options as David has told me. Now if I could just find some easily accessible
help files on the strsafe functions. The only files in the Platform SDK install that elude to
anything to do with help are in the installed folder of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\Help
but they are all .hxi .hxs .hxq .hxr and .hxt extension files that don't open up with
anything I have ?
Enjoyed reading your reply (as always) . Even though I am off topic for this group,
I would quickly like to comment on the below.

>I heard Jim Lovell (Apollo 13 commander) explain that after his last flight, he doesn't
>have any problem coping with any problem; I don't recall his exact words, but they were
>along the lines of "I know what serious problems are, and I haven't had one since I
>landed".

Wow, that really transcends all description. If memory serves me correctly Jim is the one
that did hand calculus with pen and paper on the projected reentry path due to technical
failures on the return trip from the Moon. He really was quite a talented individual.

> This is the fifth "eldercare" situation I've had to handle, and I pretty much know who I
> have to talk to, what questions to ask, and what to do with the answers. Being trained
> as a problem-solver helps a lot. joe

Boy that is the truth. My dad died first and 10yrs later when my Mom was ill she was so
out of congnitiveness due to the cancer and medications that I literally had to be her brain
as far as conversing with the various doctors during her care. I had to learn a lot about the
logistics of hospital protocol etc and I can definitely relate to what you are describing.
Take care Joe and hope the best for your family member.

From: David Ching on
"RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote in message
> Now if I could just find some easily accessible
> help files on the strsafe functions.

The functions listed in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468910(v=VS.85).aspx starting with
"String" are what you want.