From: senthilmcp on
How to create subdomain please tell me the step by step solution.Really i
don't know how to create that..please some one help me.
From: Andrew Morton on
senthilmcp wrote:
> How to create subdomain please tell me the step by step
> solution.Really i don't know how to create that..please some one help
> me.

First you'll need to be clear what a sub-domain is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-domain

Then you'll need to add the sub-domain name into the DNS records for the
site (as an A record). And wait for it to propagate.

Finally, you will probably want to use host-headers in IIS to direct
requests to the correct site.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=iis+host+header

Andrew

From: Anthony J Biondo Jr. MCP, CPHIMS on
If you want to create sub domains you need to have at least one domain.
Example: microsoft.com

In DNS this is also called a ZONE. So a regular website would look like the
following.

Here is an example of what it looks like. Zones contain the different
records fo DNS.

Zone: microsoft.com

Record Host IP Address
A (blank)
1.1.1.1
A www 1.1.1.1
A support 1.2.2.2
A sales
1.3.3.3

So in this example the microsoft zone has 3 A records all pointing to
different IP addresses. These can be 3 unique sites or part of a very large
site

In IIS you need to setup a site for each of these sub domains.

hope this helps,
Anthony

Anthony J Biondo Jr - MCP, CPHIMS
Manager, Web Services