From: nick on
Quick question...

It's my understanding that accessing a string as an array of
characters is a non-standard feature, not supported everywhere. I have
some code where I want to access a string as an array of characters.

When I call .split("") on a string (the argument is an empty string),
an array-like object is returned with each element being one character
of the original string. How widely supported is this behavior? Should
the example code below work in the major desktop and mobile browsers?

example code:

function something (str) {
if (!' '[0]) str = str.split('');
for (var i=0; i<str.length; i++) {
var c = str[i];
// do something with c...
}
}

TIA for advice.

-- Nick
From: 123Jim on

"nick" <nick___(a)fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Quick question...
>
> It's my understanding that accessing a string as an array of
> characters is a non-standard feature, not supported everywhere. I have
> some code where I want to access a string as an array of characters.
>
> When I call .split("") on a string (the argument is an empty string),
> an array-like object is returned with each element being one character
> of the original string. How widely supported is this behavior? Should
> the example code below work in the major desktop and mobile browsers?
>
> example code:
>
> function something (str) {
> if (!' '[0]) str = str.split('');
> for (var i=0; i<str.length; i++) {
> var c = str[i];
> // do something with c...
> }
> }
>
> TIA for advice.
>
> -- Nick

don't use .split
use .charAt
see here:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/string4.shtml

From: nick on
On Apr 15, 4:07 am, "123Jim" <jnkjnjn...(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:
> don't use .split
> use .charAt

Hmm, that would make sense now wouldn't it. Somehow I forgot that
function existed... thanks for reminding me.