From: Rick Rothstein on
I find it easier to get to the Format Cells dialog box by simply right
clicking the selected cell or cells and picking Format Cells from the popup
menu that appears.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Chip Pearson on
If I recall correctly, formulas in Lotus 123 started with an @
character, so Excel is treating the @ as some sort of Lotus holdover.
You can type an apostrophe ( ' ) as the first character in the cell to
indicate that what follows is literal text, not to be interpreted in
any way. The apostrophe will not show in the cell, but will show in
the formula bar.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010