From: Dr. Dos on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Dr. Dos:
>> Thanks to both of you.
>> I selected SyncToy 2.1
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en
>>
>>> and it works exactly as I had sought.
>
> I've got a backup Windows Home Server box and have been using a
> file copy backup utility (SecondCopy) to synch the backup box
> with the "production" box.
>
> This thread has me thinking I should try SyncToy.
>
> Can it be config'd so that box "B" is made the same as box "A",
> but "A" is not touched? i.e. If there are new, changed, or
> deleted files on "A", only "B" gets updated.
>
> Also, I'm assuming that there is an exclusion list. For instance
> one would not want the Windows system directory touched - only
> "Data" directories.
SyncToy seems to be configurable.
It should not hurt to install it and play with
it, at least as far as trying to set it up. It
has a "preview" function that should prevent
"accidents."
From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Per Dr. Dos:
>> Thanks to both of you.
>> I selected SyncToy 2.1
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en
>>
>>> and it works exactly as I had sought.
>
> I've got a backup Windows Home Server box and have been using a
> file copy backup utility (SecondCopy) to synch the backup box
> with the "production" box.
>
> This thread has me thinking I should try SyncToy.
>
> Can it be config'd so that box "B" is made the same as box "A",
> but "A" is not touched? i.e. If there are new, changed, or
> deleted files on "A", only "B" gets updated.

Yes, it's called Echo Mode in SyncToy.

> Also, I'm assuming that there is an exclusion list. For instance
> one would not want the Windows system directory touched - only
> "Data" directories.

YOU define the directories to be synchronised (but system or hiddden
files can be excluded too)

Look into the Help file of SyncToy.

Bernd
From: Gary Richtmeyer on
Dr. Dos wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3
>
> Is there a Windows routine or some application that will compare
> specified sub-directories (folders) and update from one to the other
> (one way or two way as desired) changed files? Thanks

Although it's not free, you might want to check out "Beyond Compare".
I've been using it for years and it does exactly what you want to do.
See http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Gary Richtmeyer
From: Anthony Buckland on

"Dr. Dos" <DrDos(a)nospam.no> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro SP3
>
> Is there a Windows routine or some application that will compare specified
> sub-directories (folders) and update from one to the other (one way or two
> way as desired) changed files? Thanks

Not too difficult if you want to copy only changed
or added files. But do you also want to delete on
the second computer any files which no longer
exist on the first? That makes it more complicated.

From: Bob CP on
Anthony Buckland wrote:
> "Dr. Dos" <DrDos(a)nospam.no> wrote in message
>> Win XP Pro SP3
>>
>> Is there a Windows routine or some application that will compare specified
>> sub-directories (folders) and update from one to the other (one way or two
>> way as desired) changed files? Thanks
>
> Not too difficult if you want to copy only changed
> or added files. But do you also want to delete on
> the second computer any files which no longer
> exist on the first? That makes it more complicated.

Command line methods:

robocopy (in the Windows Server toolkit)
xxcopy (will do just about anything...)