From: Dr. Dos on
Win XP Pro SP3

Is there a Windows routine or some application
that will compare specified sub-directories
(folders) and update from one to the other (one
way or two way as desired) changed files? Thanks
From: John John - MVP on
Robocopy or SyncToy, both by Microsoft.

John

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Dr. Dos" <DrDos(a)nospam.no> said this in news item
> Win XP Pro SP3
>
> Is there a Windows routine or some application that will compare specified
> sub-directories (folders) and update from one to the other (one way or two
> way as desired) changed files? Thanks

robocopy.exe
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en)

From: Dr. Dos on
Dr. Dos wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3
>
> Is there a Windows routine or some application that will compare
> specified sub-directories (folders) and update from one to the other
> (one way or two way as desired) changed files? Thanks
Thanks to both of you.
I selected SyncToy 2.1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Dr. Dos:
>Thanks to both of you.
>I selected SyncToy 2.1
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en
>
> >and it works exactly as I had sought.

I've got a backup Windows Home Server box and have been using a
file copy backup utility (SecondCopy) to synch the backup box
with the "production" box.

This thread has me thinking I should try SyncToy.

Can it be config'd so that box "B" is made the same as box "A",
but "A" is not touched? i.e. If there are new, changed, or
deleted files on "A", only "B" gets updated.

Also, I'm assuming that there is an exclusion list. For instance
one would not want the Windows system directory touched - only
"Data" directories.
--
PeteCresswell