From: Chuck Remes on
On Jul 6, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Tony Arcieri wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Because there is no centralized server that all messages, data or control
>> must pass through.
>>

> If your system is fully asynchronous and there's no central data source, how
> is it possible for nodes to synchronize to a central clock? That makes
> absolutely no sense.

I wrote a long email describing why I thought I was right, but I kept coming back to your earlier question about a centralized data source. The problem I have with my data source is that the documents within it have different time granularities for the data. For example, some documents represent data aggregated over 1m, 1 day or 1 week. Since documents of each time granularity may be requested by various processes, I didn't see how I could use them as a source for the mock clock.

And then it hit me. I could have a mock clock process that subscribes to all of those data sources and receives all of those messages. The mock clock should *only* pay attention to the document data with the smallest time granularity for setting the clock and ignore the rest.

So yes, you are right. I *do* have a central data source that I can use to set the clock. I just didn't see it before.

Thanks for pressing me on this. It forced me to really figure it out.

cr

From: Tony Arcieri on

Cool, glad I could help

--