From: -jg on
On Jan 30, 10:41 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 11:18 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Jim, it was not about TESTING the output, it was about creating an
> > > EMPTY design.
> > > there is no need to test anything with empty design :)
>
> > > Antti
>
> > The OP wanted to "measure the quiescent current of the xilinx FPGA",
> > and that can vary with H & L,
> > so the best test coverage is to check both.
>
> > He probably should also plot Icc vs Vin on a pin, so he can factor in
> > non-cmos or level shifting effects, if needed.
>
> > -jg
>
> nono, he did not want measure the current in dependancy of the output
> being driven high or low, in the matter of fact he would have
> preffered the output to not be driven at all, so actually he should
> have made a desing that is as small as possible, and has one output
> that is always tristated.

Hehe, if his REAL system is going to have no outputs driven, then you
would be correct.

However, in the real world, a vital part of "measuring the quiescent
current" of a static system is to have the I/O lines at 'field likely'
states.
ie On my bench, I want to know if the pin state, or even Vi level,
mattered. On many chips, it does.
If you ignore this stuff, it can bite you!

I'll admit I presumed the OP wanted a useful number.

-jg

From: Krzysztof Kepa on
Why not use XDL?

1.Get any ncd file targeting your x device and convert it to xdl format
('xdl -ncd2xdl anydesign.ncd')
2.copy the first (uncommented) line from the xdl file (contains target
device name) to a new file (e.g. empty.xdl)
3. convert the new xdl file back to ncd format ('xdl -xdl2ncd -force
empty_design.xdl empty_design.ncd')
4. create bit file ('bitgen -d empty_design.ncd')
4.profit :)

You could also use below python script

Regards,
Krzysztof

empty_design.py :

import os

xdl_content = '< put here first line from the xdl file with target device>'

empty_file = open("empty_design.xdl",'w')
empty_file.write(xdl_content)
empty_file.close()

os.system("xdl -xdl2ncd -force empty_design.xdl empty_design.ncd")
os.system("bitgen -d empty_design.ncd")

From: saar drimer on
On Jan 29, 5:47 pm, EE EE <eengr....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to synthesize a completely empty design, no clocks no combo and
> no sequential logic for a xilinx FPGA using ISE.

Would the following satisfy your requirements?

1. open a new design in fpga_editor (chose your part, etc.) and save
it to empty.ncd
2. bitgen empty.ncd

....you then get an "empty" bitstream, empty.bit.

saar.

From: Kolja Sulimma on
On 29 Jan., 18:50, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 7:47 pm, EE EE <eengr....(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> you do have to have one output or the flow will fail
>
> well, design with no IO's could actually be useful, if all data
> transfer goes over BSCAN, but the tools require one top level port to
> be present

Also, a design with only inputs can be used to use DCI to terminate
external signals
which might be required for external circuitry to work properly.

Kolja Sulimma
From: Kolja Sulimma on
On 29 Jan., 20:35, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>  So the tools might just
> require an input, but I doubt it.

This used to be the case a few years ago. The bug has been fixed, but
might have been reintroduces later.
Designs with only outputs did not work in an earlier ISE version but
I had a real
world application with only a single output. (An CPLD had to hold OE
of a flash at constant high,
in a later version there would be logic added to the CPLD, but that
was not read yet)
Translate failed with the error mesage similar to: Does not fit, your
design has 0 inputs but
the CPLD you have chosen has only 32 Pins.

I opened a web case to research a design that will provide a constant
output without the tool
optimizing away the dummy input.
You could not synthesize
output <= '1';