From: Sydney on
The HP Pavilion ZE4208s is dawn slow.

I re installed the whole system starting after erasing everything and
reformating.

System seemed OK, but after all the Microsoft software updates slow again.

Memtest showed no errors.
I am out of ideas !

From: mike on
Sydney wrote:
> The HP Pavilion ZE4208s is dawn slow.
>
> I re installed the whole system starting after erasing everything and
> reformating.
>
> System seemed OK, but after all the Microsoft software updates slow again.
Looks pretty conclusive to me. Don't install the update that makes it slow.

From: who? on

"Sydney" <kayzen(a)free.fr> wrote in message
> The HP Pavilion ZE4208s is dawn slow.
>
> I re installed the whole system starting after erasing everything and
> reformating.
>
> System seemed OK, but after all the Microsoft software updates slow again.
>
> Memtest showed no errors.
> I am out of ideas !

Take a look in task manager .. maybe some process is hogging the CPU or

From: Sydney on
"mike" <spamme0(a)go.com> a �crit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
hhurcf$qnu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> Sydney wrote:
>> The HP Pavilion ZE4208s is dawn slow.
>>
>> I re installed the whole system starting after erasing everything and
>> reformating.
>>
>> System seemed OK, but after all the Microsoft software updates slow
>> again.
> Looks pretty conclusive to me. Don't install the update that makes it
> slow.
>>
>> Memtest showed no errors.
>> I am out of ideas !

This is a whole bunch of updates Microsoft has issued from 2003 to 2010 !

From: mike on
Sydney wrote:
> "mike" <spamme0(a)go.com> a �crit dans le message de groupe de discussion
> : hhurcf$qnu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>> Sydney wrote:
>>> The HP Pavilion ZE4208s is dawn slow.
>>>
>>> I re installed the whole system starting after erasing everything and
>>> reformating.
>>>
>>> System seemed OK, but after all the Microsoft software updates slow
>>> again.
>> Looks pretty conclusive to me. Don't install the update that makes it
>> slow.
>>>
>>> Memtest showed no errors.
>>> I am out of ideas !
>
> This is a whole bunch of updates Microsoft has issued from 2003 to 2010 !

Nobody said using microsoft OS was easy.
There's no substitute for determining the cause of the problem.
You can also turn off groups of background processes to see if that
helps you narrow the search.
Virus scanners and firewalls are resource hogs.

IMHO, you will never be happy with XP at 256MB if you expect a FAST
system. If you have a slow disk, memory size is critically important.
I can only assume it's XP.

What I do is
Install 512MB of ram if I'm not running many OR big programs...1GB if I am.
2GB if I expect to run virtual machines.
Install the original OS.
Install SP3.
Turn off ALL updates.