From: vippstar on
On Oct 28, 12:41 am, Pillsy <pillsb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Another book to look at is David Touretzky's _Common Lisp: A Gentle
> Introduction to Symbolic Programming_.
s/Programming/Computation/
From: Kaz Kylheku on
On 2009-10-27, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Tagbody is best used when you want use labels and GO, CL's answer to
> goto.

You're being trolled, doh!

Clues:

- He's called "ruby.object" (w_a_x_man?)

- He cannot possibly /not/ know that the TAGBODY is completely redundant
in (dotimes (x 3) (tagbody ...)). Come on!

- It's completely implausible that a newbie learns about tagbody
without encountering progn; show me one single tutorial or book
which has that consequence!

- He's never actually seen tagbody being used in Lisp code.
(But he's seen Lisp code. How much Lisp code can you see without
encountering progn?)

So it must be that he knows tagbody from random readings of the HyperSpec
or ANSI CL; yet, he cannot find progn.

If you're looking at TAGBODY in the CLHS all you have to do is navigate
up and there is the Data and Control Flow Dictionary, with all the goodies,
including PROGN.

ruby.object has a lot to learn from Madhu.

Here is a trolling recipe:

Make it clear that you understand the difference between abstract semantics and
actual semantics. But, at the same time, keep demonstrating a peculiar blind
spot by insisting that some particular feature of the language conforms to some
actual implementation semantics, and confuse the two. Rarely cite anything more
deeply than a section number in the standard; if you cite something more
specific, it should be irrelevant to your case, if not outright contradictory.
Speaking of which, contradict yourself repeatedly, between postings and even
within one. Insinuate that there should exist a portable program which
reproduces the issues in a way that favors your interpretation, but never
actually produce such code (which doesn't exist). When the argument falters,
claim that it merely wasn't understood and then reify it under different
terminology. Etc.
From: Madhu on

[This has nothing to do with TAGBODY vs DEFUN, I'm responding to the
trolling Kaz]

* Kaz Kylheku <20091110124354.109(a)gmail.com> :
Wrote on Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:15:18 +0000 (UTC):

| ruby.object has a lot to learn from Madhu.

More to learn from Kaz apparently!

| Here is a trolling recipe: Make it clear that you understand the
| difference between abstract semantics and actual semantics. But, at
| the same time, keep demonstrating a peculiar blind spot by insisting
| that some particular feature of the language conforms to some actual
| implementation semantics, and confuse the two. Rarely cite anything
| more deeply than a section number in the standard; if you cite
| something more specific, it should be irrelevant to your case, if not
| outright contradictory. Speaking of which, contradict yourself
| repeatedly, between postings and even within one.

So far you are describing all the tactics you adopted in responding to
my posts in the Ron Garret thread, where at least I was able to show how
you contradicted your earlier statements, your own claims about your
superior IQ and mastery of the spec notwithstanding

Thread starting at <20091101131414.643(a)gmail.com>

--
Madhu

From: Tamas K Papp on
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:15:18 +0000, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On 2009-10-27, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tagbody is best used when you want use labels and GO, CL's answer to
>> goto.
>
> You're being trolled, doh!
>
> Clues:
>
> - He's called "ruby.object" (w_a_x_man?)

I am still not sure that the OP is a troll. He could be coming from
another language, and be under the impression that people start
learning CL from the Hyperspec.

> ruby.object has a lot to learn from Madhu.

I don't think that acquiring the psychological traits of Madhu is a
matter of learning. Rather, it would require a neurochemical
imbalance and/or (depending on what school of thought you subscribe to)
a seriously troubled childhood to become like him.

Anyhow, I am keeping my mind open about the OP for the time being.

Best,

Tamas
From: Kaz Kylheku on
On 2009-10-28, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:15:18 +0000, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>
>> On 2009-10-27, Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tagbody is best used when you want use labels and GO, CL's answer to
>>> goto.
>>
>> You're being trolled, doh!
>>
>> Clues:
>>
>> - He's called "ruby.object" (w_a_x_man?)
>
> I am still not sure that the OP is a troll. He could be coming from
> another language, and be under the impression that people start
> learning CL from the Hyperspec.

If you're clever enough to find TAGBODY in the HyperSpec, chances are
very high you can find PROGN all by yourself.

It's kind of like asking, ``I'm trying to use PROGV but there must be a better
way. I haven't seen PROGV used in other people's Lisp code, why is that? Other
languages have lexical variables; what about Lisp?''

Waaaaay unlikely, sorry.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Berlin Lispers Meetup: November 3, 2008
Next: why REVAPPEND?