From: Thomas A. Russ on
xach(a)unnamed.xach.com writes:

> When possible, I prefer obfuscation through FORMAT.

You mean like
(format t "one ~a~%~:*two ~a~%~:*three ~a~%" x)

--
Thomas A. Russ, USC/Information Sciences Institute
From: Bigos on
On Oct 28, 4:15 pm, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-10-27, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Tagbody is best used when you want use labels and GO, CL's answer to
> > goto.
>
> You're being trolled, doh!
You are wrong. Se more remarks below.

> Clues:
>
> - He's called "ruby.object" (w_a_x_man?)
Are Ruby enthusiasts forbidden to learn Lisp. If I start to learn Lisp
am I supposed to open new e-mail account?

> - He cannot possibly /not/ know that the TAGBODY is completely redundant
>   in (dotimes (x 3) (tagbody ...)).  Come on!
I don't know much Lisp, how I am supposed to know what is redundant
and what is not?

> - It's completely implausible that a newbie learns about tagbody
>   without encountering progn; show me one single tutorial or book
>   which has that consequence!
Don't underestimate a newbie browsing Hyperspec. In the other post you
are correct saying it was (almost) a random search.

> - He's never actually seen tagbody being used in Lisp code.
>   (But he's seen Lisp code. How much Lisp code can you see without
>   encountering progn?)
Maybe I have seen it but not knowing what it is how I am supposed to
know this is the thing I am looking for.

> So it must be that he knows tagbody from random readings of the HyperSpec
> or ANSI CL; yet, he cannot find progn.
>
> If you're looking at TAGBODY in the CLHS all you have to do is navigate
> up and there is the Data and Control Flow Dictionary, with all the goodies,
> including PROGN.
At last some sensible advice.

> ruby.object has a lot to learn from Madhu.
Don't have to. The chemical imbalance in my brain is barely controlled
by the medication, and I had really seriously troubled childhood.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
Bigos <ruby.object(a)googlemail.com> writes:

>> - He cannot possibly /not/ know that the TAGBODY is completely redundant
>> � in (dotimes (x 3) (tagbody ...)). �Come on!
> I don't know much Lisp, how I am supposed to know what is redundant
> and what is not?

Because before considering using dotimes, or any other operator, since
you don't know much Lisp, you should first read the Hyperspec page of
that operator. But of course, the language of the Hyperspec is
somewhat terse, and not all consequences are easily infered by a
newbie. That's why it's usually advised to use first a more
pedagogical book to learn Lisp.

Have a look at: http://www.cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Rob Warnock on
Thomas A. Russ <tar(a)sevak.isi.edu> wrote:
+---------------
| xach(a)unnamed.xach.com writes:
| > When possible, I prefer obfuscation through FORMAT.
|
| You mean like
| (format t "one ~a~%~:*two ~a~%~:*three ~a~%" x)
+---------------

*ROTFLMAO!!* I immediately thought of Lily Tomlin's character Ernestine:

(let* ((x (format nil "r~a-~:*d~a..." "ingy")))
(format t "one ~a~%~:*two ~a~%~:*three ~a~%" x))

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rpw3(a)rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

From: Madhu on

* (Rob Warnock) <JNCdna0dGt6oP3bXnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net> :
Wrote on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:34:29 -0500:

| Thomas A. Russ <tar(a)sevak.isi.edu> wrote:
| +---------------
| | xach(a)unnamed.xach.com writes:
| | > When possible, I prefer obfuscation through FORMAT.
| |
| | You mean like
| | (format t "one ~a~%~:*two ~a~%~:*three ~a~%" x)
| +---------------
|
| *ROTFLMAO!!* I immediately thought of Lily Tomlin's character Ernestine:
|
| (let* ((x (format nil "r~a-~:*d~a..." "ingy")))
| (format t "one ~a~%~:*two ~a~%~:*three ~a~%" x))

I missed the cultural reference, so I do not understand what you are
trying to demonstrate here, but _whatever_ it is, it can be done way
more elegantly Using Recursion; and by Adding a Level of Indirection
(which also has advantage of avoiding a style warning for LET*!)

(let* ((y (format nil "r~a-~:*d~a..." "ingy"))
(x (format nil
(format nil x x x))

--
Madhu