From: Ron Patterson on
the bottom grey bar used to have my open programs on the left and the quick
launch icons on the right

I now have two bars on the bottom - the top one has quick launch icons on
the left -
the bottom one has open programs on the left

I am going nuts trying to get this to look like it originally did - just
one bar in height - open programs at left - quick icons at the right

I have 'googled' this and none of the suggestions work

please help

Ron

From: RobertVA on
On 4/22/2010 7:28 PM, Ron Patterson wrote:
> the bottom grey bar used to have my open programs on the left and the quick
> launch icons on the right
>
> I now have two bars on the bottom - the top one has quick launch icons on
> the left -
> the bottom one has open programs on the left
>
> I am going nuts trying to get this to look like it originally did - just
> one bar in height - open programs at left - quick icons at the right
>
> I have 'googled' this and none of the suggestions work
>

> please help
>
> Ron

Might require right clicking on a vacant area of the task bar and
clicking "Lock the Taskbar" on the resulting context menu to uncheck it.
Once the Taskbar is unlocked you should be able to drag the top edge of
the taskbar with your mouse pointer to the desired height.

Please post a reply in this thread to let us know how well this
information helped.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:28:19 -0700, "Ron Patterson"
<a.baba(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

> the bottom grey bar

You mean the "Task Bar"?

> used to have my open programs on the left and the quick
> launch icons on the right
>
> I now have two bars on the bottom - the top one has quick launch icons on
> the left -
> the bottom one has open programs on the left
>
> I am going nuts trying to get this to look like it originally did - just
> one bar in height - open programs at left - quick icons at the right
>
> I have 'googled' this and none of the suggestions work

The task bar is resizable, like a window. Put the cursor on the edge
and wiggle it slightly to make it turn into a double-headed arrow.
Then click and drag it to the size you want.

If it won't resize, it may be locked. In that case, right click on it
and uncheck "Lock the Taskbar," Then try again.

Also note that if you have toolbars on the task bar on multiple lines,
you won't be able to reduce the task bar size to fewer than that
number of lines. Put all the toolbars on one line first.

If you're still having trouble, read the following, quoted from MVP
Malke: "What happens is that the end "margin" of the QuickLaunch
toolbar has gotten so far over to the right that it is now down below.
Unlock the Taskbar and then "grab" the dotted line on the bottom bar
(it will be a solid line if you are using the classic style) and drag
it up to immediately to the right of the QuickLaunch icons. Now you've
successfully made the QuickLaunch toolbar shorter and can "grab" the
top bar of the Taskbar and "push" it down to the regular one-tier
height."

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Ron Patterson on
Thanks Robert - I have seen this suggestion several other places, and like
all the others, this does not work for me. Locked or unlocked, I can not
use the mouse to resize the height of either of these task bars.

Also, pre-emptively, I should mention that I can not drag the vertical bar
from the left to the right as is ofter suggested to relocate the icons vs
the open programs.

Really frustrating.

Ron

From: Ron Patterson on
WOW - I did a lot of research and did not find this hint anywhere. Good
work Ken and a tip of the hat to Malke. It was the second suggestion,
Malke's that worked a charm. I had tried about everything but that.

Now I can sleep tonight.

Again - many thanks as this was making me crazy.

Ron