From: OnlyMe on
items in the XPpro with SP3 taskbar RH with the clock.
question is, why does the cursor when placed on an icon, the info is shown
behind the taskbar,?

From: Brian A. on
"OnlyMe" <xub100(a)beagle.com> wrote in message
> items in the XPpro with SP3 taskbar RH with the clock.
> question is, why does the cursor when placed on an icon, the info is
> shown behind the taskbar,?

That's an issue which has been around for some time and I don't think there is a
permanent fix for it.
To get the popup back on top:
Right click on a blank area of the taskbar.
Click "Properties" in the popup menu.
Uncheck "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows".
Click Apply > Ok.
Repeat the steps above but this time recheck "Keep the taskbar on top of other
windows".

This is only a temporary fix, the next time you reboot the issue will more than
likely present itself once again.

--

Brian A.

From: OnlyMe on
Thanks it worked OK

From: Jose on
On Mar 22, 8:32 am, "OnlyMe" <xub...(a)beagle.com> wrote:
> Thanks it worked OK
>
> "OnlyMe" <xub...(a)beagle.com> wrote in message

> > items in the XPpro with SP3  taskbar  RH with the clock.
> > question is, why does the cursor when placed on an  icon,  the info is
> > shown behind the taskbar,?

See the bottom if you want a "permanent" fix with some 3rd party
software.

It sounds like this well known issue with many different solutions but
I have given up pursing a permanent fix since it does not bother me
that often and I know how to get it working again - for a while:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912650

The article says tooltips, but I think I also have seen it with
programs that are running minimized in the taskbar. I see it most
with thing that are in the Quick Launch and Notification Areas.

I don't care for the MS solution and I do not want to restart or login
again just for this silly problem, so I do this which has always
worked so far:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

tskill explorer

Click OK and explorer will be killed and will restart automatically.

This works okay for me, but I have heard that some icons for running
programs that are in the Notification Area/System Tray may (to the
left of the system time) also disappear but the applications that now
have no icons in the Notification Area are still running.

Reboot or relogin will fix it for sure too and there are a lot of
"fixes" on the Wide Wide World of Web, but it always seems to come
back.

Sometime when I see it in the Quick Launch area, if I move the mouse
to another icon in the QL area, it starts working again even on the
one that was just broken - it is "fixed" for now without me having to
do much.

I am a chronic hibernator so I see it more often than people that
actually shutdown and restart once in a while. I don't actually
restart my system sometimes for days at a time.

Here are some other ideas that don't always work for me. None of them
worked for me as reliably as my tskill explorer idea:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/tooltips-system-tray-not-showing-xp/

I like my idea because it is simple with minimal clicking and I know
it works every time without trying things. If you are creative, make
a new Quick Launch button that just restarts explorer and you can
restart explorer anytime you feel like it with just a single click and
no typing.

Create a a desktop shortcut with a target line something like this:

%windir%\system32\tskill.exe explorer

Name it whatever you want and drag it down into the Quick Launch
area. When your system is malfunctioing, single click the new Quick
Launch time and explorer.exe will be restarted in one click.

Neosmart Technologies has some download that has an executable that
says it works and fixes it for good - as long as their program is
running, and it seems to work just fine if you don't mind the small
footprint of memory it consumes.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=10