From: Moshe on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 08:43:04 -0400, One Shot, One Kill
wrote:

> it has to be alive first before it can be killed and the linsux desktop was
> born dead.
>

> Has Windows 7 killed Linux on the desktop?
> By Adam Oxford2 hours ago
>

> People don't just like Windows 7, it's the anti-Vista: loved for as many
> often spurious reasons as Vista was hated.
>
> Many watchers and pundits, from big corporates, such as Novell to a million
> tuxhead blogs, saw the price and unpopularity of Vista as a golden
> opportunity for the Linux operating system to sneak in and steal a slice of
> the desktop market.
>
> But has Window 7 seen off any threat from open source operating systems? In
> other words, has Windows 7 killed Linux on the desktop?
>

> There are many ways of tracking operating system usage, some more reliable
> than others, but all of them suggest that Microsoft's dominance hasn't been
> seriously challenged in the last four years with over 93 per cent of people
> sticking with them.
>
> The figures also seem to suggest that where people are switching, it's to
> Apple, not Linux. So in the middle of the worst recession the post-WWII
> world has seen, if people have abandoned Windows its to a more expensive
> competitor, not the free one.
>

> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/has-windows-7-killed-linux-on-the-desktop--697200

Linux has had many opportunities to capitalize on
Microsoft's blunders. Windows ME, various security
gaffs, Windows XP getting "old", horrible Microsoft
advertising (Seinfeld) and finally Vista.

Instead of taking advantage of these goof ups, the Linux
community has done what it does best. Whine about how
Microsoft is killing Linux with bad press. In other
words blaming everyone and everything but Linux itself,
for Linux's failure to gain on the desktop.

The failure of Linux netbooks is just icing on the cake.

Windows 7 is getting excellent reviews and the buying
public love it. Just look on Newegg or Amazon at the
reviews.
This most certainly was not the case with Vista which
people hated for the most part.

Yes Linux has had it's chance at the desktop market, but
Microsoft Windows 7 is making any gains that Linux
"might" have gotten, irrelevant.

Windows 7 is gorgeous looking, has features people are
interested in using, is well supported while Linux still
continues to release the "distribution of the day" as it
drives itself deeper and deeper into fragmentation and
confusion.
And finally, if Canonical can't manage to release a
version of Ubuntu that isn't full of bugs, why doesn't
it step aside and start funding a distribution that
*can* manage to release a stable version.
Something like SuSE or Fedora.

Windows 7 is the final nail in the Linux desktop.
From: Rick on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:08:33 -0400, Moshe wrote:
(snip)

> Linux has had many opportunities to capitalize on Microsoft's blunders.

An operating system kernel has had many opportunities to capitalize on
the blunders of a corporation?

> Windows ME, various security gaffs, Windows XP getting "old", horrible
> Microsoft advertising (Seinfeld) and finally Vista.
>
> Instead of taking advantage of these goof ups, the Linux community has
> done what it does best.

The community has developed some very good software.

> Whine about how Microsoft is killing Linux with
> bad press. In other words blaming everyone and everything but Linux
> itself, for Linux's failure to gain on the desktop.
>
> The failure of Linux netbooks is just icing on the cake.

A 30% market share can hardly be described as a failure.

> Windows 7 is getting excellent reviews and the buying public love it.

They certainly seem to like it better than Vista.

> Just look on Newegg or Amazon at the reviews.
> This most certainly was not the case with Vista which people hated for
> the most part.
>
> Yes Linux has had it's chance at the desktop market, but Microsoft
> Windows 7 is making any gains that Linux "might" have gotten,
> irrelevant.

An operating system kernel had it's chance against a corporation?

> Windows 7 is gorgeous looking, has features people are interested in
> using, is well supported while Linux still continues to release the
> "distribution of the day" as it drives itself deeper and deeper into
> fragmentation and confusion.

An operating system kernel is driving itself into fragmentation?

> And finally, if Canonical can't manage to release a version of Ubuntu
> that isn't full of bugs, why doesn't it step aside and start funding a
> distribution that *can* manage to release a stable version. Something
> like SuSE or Fedora.

If Microsoft can't manage to release a version of Windows that isn't full
of bugs, why doesn't it step aside and fund a company that can?

> Windows 7 is the final nail in the Linux desktop.

Your premise is flawed on many levels.

--
Rick
From: Snit on
Rick stated in post -9mdnZfsNM4W3YPRnZ2dnUVZ_rqdnZ2d(a)supernews.com on
6/20/10 9:23 AM:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:08:33 -0400, Moshe wrote:
> (snip)
>>
>> Linux has had many opportunities to capitalize on Microsoft's blunders.
>
> An operating system kernel has had many opportunities to capitalize on
> the blunders of a corporation?

Those that distribute it and make it sure do! No doubt.

>> Windows ME, various security gaffs, Windows XP getting "old", horrible
>> Microsoft advertising (Seinfeld) and finally Vista.
>>
>> Instead of taking advantage of these goof ups, the Linux community has
>> done what it does best.
>
> The community has developed some very good software.

Yet, even with desktop Linux being available for free and serving more
market segments than any other OS, it has failed to gain more than 2% of the
market, based on the best data we have. Perhaps only 1%. Which does mean
its market share is growing... but what other free and easily accessible
product does so poorly?

>> Whine about how Microsoft is killing Linux with
>> bad press. In other words blaming everyone and everything but Linux
>> itself, for Linux's failure to gain on the desktop.
>>
>> The failure of Linux netbooks is just icing on the cake.
>
> A 30% market share can hardly be described as a failure.

So you must think Apple is an amazing success in their markets.

>> Windows 7 is getting excellent reviews and the buying public love it.
>
> They certainly seem to like it better than Vista.

Yes: and it is much better in my view. Faster, less annoying pop-ups,
better UI. Still has a Aero which I find to be a rather poor choice of
looks, but so be it.

[INSERT .SIG HERE]

From: Moshe on
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:43:44 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> So long, Flatfish+++, you're going into the same bin as Ray Lopez and
> Hadron Quark. Maybe you three can merge your IQ scores together and
> come up with something about room temperature (in Centigrade).
>
> <plonk>

Have they found a cure for Aspergers Syndrome yet?

Just asking since you brought up the psychological
angle.
From: Tattoo Vampire on
Aragorn wrote:

> Go take your hatred somewhere else, because the people reading this and
> other technical newgroups and who are posting to it are interested in
> technical matters, not in any of your pro-Mickeysoft drivel.

Moshe/flatfish/Gary Stewartis like a Usenet vampire. He travels groups and
sucks the life out of them. Someone needs to drive a stake through his
heart, then cut off his head and fill the mouth with garlic.

--
Regards,
[tv]

....How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?