From: cookd on

hi Tim,
I was planning to do this in kernel mode because actually I need to
create a "fake capture device"...I have an application that don't read
avi directly, but anyway look for all the capture devices (webcam,
ie1394, everithing...) installed... so I planned to create a fake
hardware that stream out the avi file that I pass to it....
can I do the same with directshow?
thanks

--
cookd

From: Max Paklin on
If you are trying to learn how to do multimedia streaming in Windows kernel
you shouldn't try to quickly write some code and see how nicely it
bluescreens the OS.
You have a few good samples to start with. By the time you went through
them - and by that I mean browsed them, built them, debug them,
single-stepped in a debugger - you will have a better idea on how to change
them conciously.

Also read a book on Windows kernel - Walter Oney 2nd edition is that usually
recommended.
Opening AVI files in kernel is not a very smart idea.

-- Max.

From: Tim Roberts on
cookd <cookd.23lvmb(a)mail.codecomments.com> wrote:

>I was planning to do this in kernel mode because actually I need to
>create a "fake capture device"...I have an application that don't read
>avi directly, but anyway look for all the capture devices (webcam,
>ie1394, everithing...) installed... so I planned to create a fake
>hardware that stream out the avi file that I pass to it....
>can I do the same with directshow?

Absolutely. Your application looks for capture devices by enumerating the
user-mode filters in the video capture category. Some of those user-mode
filters are actually proxies for kernel devices, but purely user-mode
filters qualify as well.

You can use the Filters\PushSource sample as an example. Just change the
DllRegisterServer entry point to use IFilterMapper2 to add yourself to to
the CLSID_VideoInputDeviceCategory category.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
Fake capture devices are implementable in user mode as DirectShow filters.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

"cookd" <cookd.23lvmb(a)mail.codecomments.com> wrote in message

> hi Tim,
> I was planning to do this in kernel mode because actually I need to
> create a "fake capture device"...I have an application that don't read
> avi directly, but anyway look for all the capture devices (webcam,
> ie1394, everithing...) installed... so I planned to create a fake
> hardware that stream out the avi file that I pass to it....
> can I do the same with directshow?
> thanks
>

> --
> cookd