From: coltrane on
On 6/15/2010 6:53 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> coltrane wrote:
>
>> while I'm here, can you recommend a book?
>
> No, sorry, the Web sufficed for me to date.
>
>> I have been using oreilly's cookbook and the first edition of the
>> definitive guide which I guess I should get the latest edition.
>
> Perhaps. Who is the author (O'Reilly is only the publisher)?
>

> PointedEars
I have the O'Reilly's Cookbook 2nd edition by Christopher Schmitt and
O'Reilly's Definitive Guide 1st edition by Eric A. Meyer.

Jumping the gun a little, I just order "Beginning CSS Web Development:
From Novice to Professional" by Simon Collison and "Pro CSS Techniques"
by Jeff Croft, Ian Lloyd, and Dan Rubin . Both of these books are
published by APress.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
coltrane wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> coltrane wrote:
>>> I have been using oreilly's cookbook and the first edition of the
>>> definitive guide which I guess I should get the latest edition.
>>
>> Perhaps. Who is the author (O'Reilly is only the publisher)?
>
> I have the O'Reilly's Cookbook 2nd edition by Christopher Schmitt and
> O'Reilly's Definitive Guide 1st edition by Eric A. Meyer.
>
> Jumping the gun a little, I just order "Beginning CSS Web Development:
> From Novice to Professional" by Simon Collison and "Pro CSS Techniques"
> by Jeff Croft, Ian Lloyd, and Dan Rubin . Both of these books are
> published by APress.

I am afraid the wisdom that you seek is not contained in a book.
Save your money.

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum (that is, quote
nothing that you are not explicitly referring to).

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: Marious Barrier on
On 06/15/2010 11:18 PM, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> However, I must advise against justified text. Remember the WWW is not
> paper, and even on paper, justified text can look really bad. I found a
> few examples of badly justified text, and there is a great one at the url
> below, just scroll down a bit to see it:
> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/200806/bad_web_typography_full_justify.html

I think I once saw that there will be a style for css3 that allows to
auto hyphenate long words.

The one I am sure I saw though... is one for overflowing text.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Marious Barrier wrote:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> However, I must advise against justified text. Remember the WWW is not
>> paper, and even on paper, justified text can look really bad. I found a
>> few examples of badly justified text, and there is a great one at the url
>> below, just scroll down a bit to see it:
>> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/200806/bad_web_typography_full_justify.html
>
> I think I once saw that there will be a style for css3 that allows to
> auto hyphenate long words.

Probably you mean <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#hyphenate> (currently a
WD).

If you limited your target environments to the more recent (or in that sense
more standards-compliant) browsers/layout engines, you could use HTML's
`&shy;' (soft hyphen) already. Firefox 3.0.x/Gecko 1.9, which was the last
of the major browsers/layout engines to implement that feature, met its end-
of-life on 2010-03-30.

> The one I am sure I saw though... is one for overflowing text.

When else would you need this?

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>