From: coltrane on
is there a way to have text centered and justified?
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
coltrane wrote:

> is there a way to have text centered and justified?

Yes.

PointedEars
From: coltrane on
On 6/15/2010 10:11 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> coltrane wrote:
>
>> is there a way to have text centered and justified?
>
> Yes.
>

> PointedEars
Okay, I guess the question should have been how can I specify both
center and justify text?

From: Evertjan. on
coltrane wrote on 15 jun 2010 in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> On 6/15/2010 10:11 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> coltrane wrote:
>>
>>> is there a way to have text centered and justified?

[please do not quote signatures on usenet]

> Okay, I guess the question should have been how can I specify both
> center and justify text?

Justified text is always centered [in it's container],
unless you maltreat it with uneven padding.

Centering the container is another easy matter.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Andy Dingley on
On 15 June, 15:05, coltrane <tendenga...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> is there a way to have text centered and justified?

Strictly speaking, centred and justified text are two different
options for the same property, so no of course you can't. OTOH,
justified text is mostly (except a short last line) symmetrical
anyway, so what's the problem?

I suspect that you mean text that's centred for both the text
alignment (i.e. justification) and also its placement as a text block
on the page (i.e. margins).

With HTML 3.2, these were both controlled simultaneously by the align
attribute. With HTML 4+CSS, they're controlled independently by two
sets of CSS properties: text-align (which lays out the inline text
within the box: left, right, centred or justified) and also the use of
left & right margins to place the text block's box on the page canvas
(set margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; ).

Once you realise that these settings are now separate and you need to
set two things, then the rest is just a bit of web searching. It's not
entirely trivial, as there's a bit of old browser hacking to deal with
the laggards:
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/css/center1.html