From: Steve on
Hi,I'm planning a trip to Vegas soon and want to communicate back home
without costing the earth , when it was 55p a min it was not too bad but
�1.20 !! I have a C905 Sony phone with wifi , can i send home emails and
photo's direct through a wifi hotspot free or do i have to go through
the Tmobile server incurring costs ?
From: JL on
On 25 Oct, 22:38, Steve <rig...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi,I'm planning a trip to Vegas soon and want to communicate back home
> without costing the earth , when it was 55p a min it was not too bad but
> £1.20 !! I have a C905 Sony phone with wifi , can i send home emails and
> photo's direct through a wifi hotspot free or do i have to go through
> the Tmobile server incurring costs ?

Using Wi-Fi would have nothing to do with T-Mobile (unless it was a T-
Mobile hotspot or something!)
From: Steve on
JL wrote:
> On 25 Oct, 22:38, Steve <rig...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Hi,I'm planning a trip to Vegas soon and want to communicate back home
>> without costing the earth , when it was 55p a min it was not too bad but
>> �1.20 !! I have a C905 Sony phone with wifi , can i send home emails and
>> photo's direct through a wifi hotspot free or do i have to go through
>> the Tmobile server incurring costs ?
>
> Using Wi-Fi would have nothing to do with T-Mobile (unless it was a T-
> Mobile hotspot or something!)

At the moment all my email goes through the Tmobile server , even my
ntlworld mail , the question was if it still uses the tmobile server but
form a wifi hotspot does it incur a cost ?
From: Phil on
Steve <righty(a)ntlworld.com> writes:

> JL wrote:
>> On 25 Oct, 22:38, Steve <rig...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,I'm planning a trip to Vegas soon and want to communicate back home
>>> without costing the earth , when it was 55p a min it was not too bad but
>>> £1.20 !! I have a C905 Sony phone with wifi , can i send home emails and
>>> photo's direct through a wifi hotspot free or do i have to go through
>>> the Tmobile server incurring costs ?
>>
>> Using Wi-Fi would have nothing to do with T-Mobile (unless it was a T-
>> Mobile hotspot or something!)
>
> At the moment all my email goes through the Tmobile server , even my
> ntlworld mail , the question was if it still uses the tmobile server
> but form a wifi hotspot does it incur a cost ?

T-Mobile will not allow you to use their SMTP server unless you are
connected to their network.

You would need to find an alternative server to send mail through. I
leave my phone set-up to use my ISP's server, they allow authenticated
SMTP. Maybe your's does too.

As you are asking these questions I assume you do not regularly use your
phone for wifi, whatever you do, you should get it working before you
leave. Sorting stuff like this out is a lot easier in the UK where you
can still use the phone cheaply than when you will be faced with roaming
charges.

I have found VOIP from my phone a great way to call home for free using
hotel or free-wifi.

But the main thing is try these things first, either using your home
wifi, or treat yourself to a big mac and go and play there.

If you do find you can use your ISP's server, check you can use it from
outside their network.

HTH

--

Pages: 1