From: Paul Kinsler on

For the past five years I've been using a lightweight Fujitsu-Siemens
P7010 laptop -- important stats (for me) are 10.6in display @ 1280x768
and weight ~ 1.3kg, processor at 1.1GHz or so. Mostly what I do is
text/latex editing and web stuff, although sometimes a bit of number
crunching. I need a VGA-style output to drive video projectors.

But now the hinge for the screen/lid is getting increasingly nearer
to failure, and it need to be replaced. I need something that will also
run linux (I currently run Slackware on the p7010, which I installed
and tweaked myself -- it only came with Windows).

So my question is: should I downsize to a netbook (and end up feeling
rather cramped), or try to find a comparable laptop-style machine (which
these days all seem to be bigger and heavier than my p7010)?

I'm not that worried about cost -- it'll be a work computer and buying the
right machine is well worth the expense, especially since I will probably
use it right up to the moment it dies of old age.

--
#Paul
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:15:22 +0100, Paul Kinsler wrote:

..../snippage/....

> So my question is: should I downsize to a netbook (and end up feeling
> rather cramped), or try to find a comparable laptop-style machine (which
> these days all seem to be bigger and heavier than my p7010)?
>
> I'm not that worried about cost -- it'll be a work computer and buying
> the right machine is well worth the expense, especially since I will
> probably use it right up to the moment it dies of old age.

There are quite a number of lightweight laptops around including some
Lenovos, which generally seem to have decent Linux compatibility - up to
a couple of years ago anyway.

If you don't normally read The Register (www.theregister.co.uk), go there
and take a look at their reviews. They're pretty thorough and seem to be
fairly unbiased. Where they've reviewed kit I owned or subsequently
bought I've generally agreed with their comments.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: chris on
<kinslerp(a)qols.ph.ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> For the past five years I've been using a lightweight Fujitsu-Siemens
> P7010 laptop -- important stats (for me) are 10.6in display @ 1280x768
> and weight ~ 1.3kg, processor at 1.1GHz or so. Mostly what I do is
> text/latex editing and web stuff, although sometimes a bit of number
> crunching. I need a VGA-style output to drive video projectors.
>
> But now the hinge for the screen/lid is getting increasingly nearer
> to failure, and it need to be replaced. I need something that will also
> run linux (I currently run Slackware on the p7010, which I installed
> and tweaked myself -- it only came with Windows).
>
> So my question is: should I downsize to a netbook (and end up feeling
> rather cramped), or try to find a comparable laptop-style machine (which
> these days all seem to be bigger and heavier than my p7010)?
>
> I'm not that worried about cost -- it'll be a work computer and buying
> the
> right machine is well worth the expense, especially since I will probably
> use it right up to the moment it dies of old age.

If cost isn't an issue and longevity is, I'd go for an ultraportable
rather than a netbook. They aren't cheap, but will be properly made and
have decent specs (.e. battery life). Lenovos tend to get a good
reputation and usually work well with linux.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <qq2oa7-4o9.ln1(a)ph-kinsle.qols.ph.ic.ac.uk>,
Paul Kinsler <kinslerp(a)qols.ph.ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> For the past five years I've been using a lightweight Fujitsu-Siemens
> P7010 laptop -- important stats (for me) are 10.6in display @ 1280x768
> and weight ~ 1.3kg, processor at 1.1GHz or so. Mostly what I do is
> text/latex editing and web stuff, although sometimes a bit of number
> crunching. I need a VGA-style output to drive video projectors.
>
> But now the hinge for the screen/lid is getting increasingly nearer
> to failure, and it need to be replaced. I need something that will also
> run linux (I currently run Slackware on the p7010, which I installed
> and tweaked myself -- it only came with Windows).
>
> So my question is: should I downsize to a netbook (and end up feeling
> rather cramped), or try to find a comparable laptop-style machine (which
> these days all seem to be bigger and heavier than my p7010)?

That screen size is comparable to many netbooks anyway, so I wouldn't
have thought you'd feel cramped by a netbook's keyboard in comparison,
unless your machine has a large bezel.

There are some 12" netbooks with 1366x768 screens. My Compaq Mini 311c
boasts a 90% sized keyboard and I don't find it a problem (other than
not liking having to use Fn for PgUp/Dn I posted about earlier), but I
do have rather dainty hands.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Martin Thompson on
kinslerp(a)qols.ph.ic.ac.uk (Paul Kinsler) writes:

> For the past five years I've been using a lightweight Fujitsu-Siemens
> P7010 laptop -- important stats (for me) are 10.6in display @ 1280x768
> and weight ~ 1.3kg, processor at 1.1GHz or so. Mostly what I do is
> text/latex editing and web stuff, although sometimes a bit of number
> crunching. I need a VGA-style output to drive video projectors.

If you're thinking netbook, I've just got an HP mini 5102 - 10"
screen, 13??x768 (if you order the right one!), pretty rugged (made of
metal) - claims 8hrs battery life out of the box with 6 cells, (two
weeks later, it's now saying more like 5.5hrs, but that's OK for
me...).

It doesn't feel too cramped to me (although the '1' key is weirdly
small).

Cheers,
Martin
 |  Next  |  Last