From: Mad Scientist Jr on
I want to convert my A Data brand 16 GB SDHC (Class 6)
to type "fixed" instead of "removable"
so I can install & run XP on the SDHC card,
or extend the Mini's C:\ drive partition to the card as described
here:

How to extend system partition (extend c drive) to optimize the
performance of your computer?
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm

Does anyone know where to find the utility or any instructions on how
to toggle the Removable Media Bit (RMB) for this particular (A Data)
SDHC card, so Windows and Acronis can see it as a fixed drive?

This problem is described under "On flash drive only the first
partition works" at the following link:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html

Any help appreciated!
From: Mad Scientist Jr on
PS my computer is the HP Mini 1000, OS is Windows XP Home

From: LVTravel on

"Mad Scientist Jr" <mad.scientist.jr(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to convert my A Data brand 16 GB SDHC (Class 6)
> to type "fixed" instead of "removable"
> so I can install & run XP on the SDHC card,
> or extend the Mini's C:\ drive partition to the card as described
> here:
>
> How to extend system partition (extend c drive) to optimize the
> performance of your computer?
>
> http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm
>
> Does anyone know where to find the utility or any instructions on how
> to toggle the Removable Media Bit (RMB) for this particular (A Data)
> SDHC card, so Windows and Acronis can see it as a fixed drive?
>
> This problem is described under "On flash drive only the first
> partition works" at the following link:
> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html
>
> Any help appreciated!

You are under a major misconception. You are attempting to span from a
fixed disk (your 60 GB PATA HD) onto a separate device. This can not be
done using the instructions shown in the link you provided. I do not know
of any way to "combine" the two drives into one on your system. The
instructions show extending a partition on a computer's drive where there is
still space available either on a different partition or unallocated space
on the computer's physical hard drive. Even if you could get the removable
media bit changed and could boot XP off of the SD card you probably would
not get any performance boost and to be quite frank, 16 GB of space is not
enough to properly operate the XP OS and have any programs also installed.
That card can also only handle 6 mbs of data transfer. That is probably
slower than your HD in any case.

This machine has a really slow processor and the hard drive is only a 4200
RPM drive (unless you have one of the more upgraded units.) It is going to
be a slow system as the Atom processor in the unit, while faster than
earlier slower processors, is just not up to high end work.

I had a friend purchase a new system with a faster model Atom processor than
you have. It had a faster hard drive (5400 rpm) and it was still a dog to
work with compared to my HP that I am writing this on which has a Centrino
processor, 4 GB RAM, XP Pro, 250 GB, 5400 RPM drive. This system sings
along and didn't cost much more than the piece of junk that you have. Heck,
I even have a full size keyboard, a DVD burner and 4 USB ports to your two.
I even have a separate numeric keypad on this full size keyboard. Yes it is
a little heavier but I can do so much more than can be done with a dinky net
book.

From: Mad Scientist Jr on
Thanks for your reply.

To clarify, the HP Mini 1000 that I want to do this on has a 8 GB SSD,
not a 60 GB PATA.

The Mini came with XP Home out of the box and although 8 GB is not a
lot of space, I have been getting by with installing apps (Office
2003, etc.) to the 16 GB SDHC.

In some cases I use Microsoft's Junction utility
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx
to fool Windows into storing certain apps & files on the SDHC, and it
has been working.

I also moved my Documents and Settings to the SDHC like shown here
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1409/move-your-documents-and-settings-username-profile-off-of-the-c-drive/

So I already am running with apps on the SDHC, the point of trying to
extend C:\ to it or move the entire system to the SDHC is so I don't
have to keep messing around with Junction creating directory links all
over the place, every time space starts to run low.

Here is the link that shows how to extend the C:\ partition using a
partition on a separate device:
http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-system-partition.htm
see this screenshot:
http://www.partition-tool.com/images/resource/extend-partition-pro-c1-b..gif

So I think it's possible, I just need to set the removable bit to
"fixed" on this particular SDHC. I'm sure the speed will be the same
as it has been - sluggish but fast enough to get by.

Also to clarify, I don't need a new system - I have a fast laptop and
several desktop PCs with good performance for most of the time. The
point of this machine is it's ultra-portable and still runs all my
apps.

If I can't figure out how to set the SDHC to fixed, plan B is to get
one of those tiny PNY 16 GB thumb drives that fit in the Mini's
internal USB slot, and use Lexar's tool
http://www.pendriveapps.com/lexar-usb-flip-the-removable-media-bit-tool/
to set it to fixed disk.

Thanks again...

From: smlunatick on
On Mar 5, 4:12 am, Mad Scientist Jr <mad.scientist...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > RPM drive (unless you have one of the more upgraded units.)  It is going to
> > be a slow system as the Atom processor in the unit, while faster than
> > earlier slower processors, is just not up to high end work.
>
> > I had a friend purchase a new system with a faster model Atom processor than
> > you have. It had a faster hard drive (5400 rpm) and it was still a dog to
> > work with compared to my HP that I am writing this on which has a Centrino
> > processor, 4 GB RAM, XP Pro, 250 GB, 5400 RPM drive.  This system sings
> > along and didn't cost much more than the piece of junk that you have.  Heck,
> > I even have a full size keyboard, a DVD burner and 4 USB ports to your two.
> > I even have a separate numeric keypad on this full size keyboard.  Yes it is
> > a little heavier but I can do so much more than can be done with a dinky net

Just for your information: SDHC medias and most other flash drives
can be erased with a "static electricity" discharge. SDHC and most
flash drives were never designed as long term storage.