From: someone on
Hi, I have a big trn, I'm trying to view what's the big trancation in the
file, how to do that? Please help. Thanks.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
(someone(a)js.com) writes:
> Hi, I have a big trn, I'm trying to view what's the big trancation in the
> file, how to do that? Please help. Thanks.

A good guess is that it is a reindexing operation.

But what makes you think that it is one single big transaction? When
did you last back up your transaction log?

There are not any simple time to investigate what it's the transaction
log, so it's kind of a futile exercise.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: someone on
Thanks Erland,

Can I know for sure it's reindexing operation? My trn log is in range 2
MB - 1.5 GB, I had a reindex job during 12:00 am, I understand that time
the trn is big,
but during day transation, my sql is not that busy, is it possible split
page? How to find out more. Please help.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
(someone(a)js.com) writes:
> Can I know for sure it's reindexing operation? My trn log is in range 2
> MB - 1.5 GB, I had a reindex job during 12:00 am, I understand that time
> the trn is big,
> but during day transation, my sql is not that busy, is it possible split
> page? How to find out more. Please help.

There are of course lots of other possibilities. But why bother? If you
run a reindexing job at midnight (or is that noon? that am/pm thing
always confuses me), and this job requires the log to be 1.5 GB you
should keep the log that size.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: TheSQLGuru on
apexsql has a tool to allow you to examine tlog 'stuff'

But I will say you are asking the wrong question. do you backup your tlog
file? are you in simple recovery mode? if you have a reindex job, that is
at least one of the major reasons for a large tlog file. If you don't know
how to handle this I really recommend you get a professional on board for a
few days to fix this and the likely many other things that are not being
done correctly on your system. Then you can learn from the pro as well.
win-win

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.