From: Mr. Arnold on
Family Tree Mike wrote:
> On 4/16/2010 5:11 PM, Mr. Arnold wrote:
>> Family Tree Mike wrote:
>>>
>>> Why are they there if you don't reference them?
>>
>> DLL(s) may reference other DLL(s) with no reference made in the project
>> to them, but they are required.
>>
>> You ever try to add a control, a DLL, to the Toolbox and that DLL has
>> references to other DLL(s) and those DLL(s) must be moved to the
>> location of the ToolBox DLL that is being added to the ToolBox?
>>

> No, I've never added a control of my own with dependencies to the
> toolbox. Nor have I experienced secondary dll dependencies being an
> issue in a web application. If a secondary dependency has been missing,
> it has been flagged on build.

It was there on the build/compile of the application in the bin
directory, but that doesn't mean the DLL is going to be deployed in the
site's virtual directory bin folder on a publish.

That's why most don't publish sites and do it manually. I have been
burnt by one version of a DLL used in the build, but another version of
the DLL was on the test or prod Web server that was the one to use.

From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 16-04-2010 11:43, not_a_commie wrote:
> When I use the "Publish Web Site" command for my .Net 2.0 Webservices,
> all the referenced assemblies are automatically copied to the
> destination folder. However, any native DLLs that I manually placed in
> the Bin folder are not copied. Any ideas how to change this? Is there
> some always-copy-this-file-on-publish element that I can put in the
> web.config file? Thanks for your time.

Native DLL's in bin dir ??

Arne

From: not_a_commie on
> What native DLLs are you talking about?

I'm talking about the native 7z.dll used by the SevenZipSharp assembly
through DllImport. (I need to create AES encrypted zip files on my
webserver.)

> There is nothing that I know about that can be placed in a Web.config to
>   accomplish this.

That's a real bummer.
From: not_a_commie on
> Why are they there if you don't reference them?

They're referenced through DllImport.

> One possible solution is to add the dlls to your project as a file.  It
> should then be copied to the publish folder.

Unfortunately, this is not possible with a webservice project. It's
possible in all other project types. Webservice projects seem
handicapped in this arena. You can add them to the bin folder
directly, but they are ignored by the publish method in that case.
From: not_a_commie on
So it appears that this inability to "Add as Link" is only a problem
for websites created with the "New -> Web Site" option. If you make a
new project of type "ASP.NET Web Application" or "ASP.NET Web Service
Application" you don't have this problem. Why would a person use the
"Web Site" option on the "New" submenu over one of these other project
types? Is it possible to change between the two (if you have inherited
a legacy project that was built with the "New -> Web Site" menu
option) ?