From: sysdrk on
I've been having difficulty with a particular person for some time who
refuses to accept that I don't want to see her emails. Consequently,
I have set up my outlook rule to permanently delete any email from
this person. However, it appears the rules aren't working as I am
continuing to get (at least some) emails. So every time I get another
email from this person I right-click on it and set up another rule to
delete email from that email address. When I look at all my rules, it
looks like I now have 5 rules to permanently delete from this same
email address. I assume they are the same because outlooks labels
them Name(n) where n = 1 through 4.

This person has some computing background so I speculated she might
know a way to generate different email addresses that look like they
are coming from the same person but are really different. So I
exported my rules into a .rwz file and looked at this with notepad.
It's not an ascii file but the email address shows as ascii and these
email addresses all look the same.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on here? Is there a bug in
outlook or something I'm no aware of? Suggestions? I'm using
outlook2003 SP3 on Win XP.
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"sysdrk" <sysdrk(a)wowway.com> wrote in message

> I've been having difficulty with a particular person for some time who
> refuses to accept that I don't want to see her emails. Consequently,
> I have set up my outlook rule to permanently delete any email from
> this person. However, it appears the rules aren't working as I am
> continuing to get (at least some) emails. So every time I get another
> email from this person I right-click on it and set up another rule to
> delete email from that email address. When I look at all my rules, it
> looks like I now have 5 rules to permanently delete from this same
> email address. I assume they are the same because outlooks labels
> them Name(n) where n = 1 through 4.

In my opinion, using a condition other than "from people ot distribution list"
is a better idea and more likely to work. Right-click, in Inbox, one of the
messages and choose Options. Examine the headers and look for something like
the domain the person uses. That's more likely to remain unchanged. If the
sender's domain is unique to that person, i.e., other people who write to you
don't use that domain, then use the "with specific words in the message
header" and make the specific words the sender's domain. If the domain isn't
unique enough, then there could be another string in the header that will be
unique to that person and you could use that.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]