From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
RICCARDO <ric.castellani(a)alice.it> wrote:
> I'm using sendmail 8.12.10-1.1.1 and amavisd (with linked uvscan) for
> my mail server, which process about 700 mail messages a day.There is
> no other software on this mail server...
> In maillog files I can see "rejecting connections on daemon MTA: load
> average: XX" where XX is a number among 12 and 36. It occurs in a
> changeable time, 40÷ 240 messages of rejecing connections" a day.
> My sendmail.cf says:
>
> #O QueueLA=8
> #O RefuseLA=12
> #O DelayLA=0
>
> Can I modify it in this way ?
> What do you think ?
>
> #O QueueLA=20
> #O RefuseLA=36
> #O DelayLA=0
>
> Or I can try to disable uvscan process to reduce load average ?

1) Do you run your sendmail on Linux?
YES => Linux count LA unlike other OSes - it counts IO-waiting too

Nick stated he usually used RefuseLA between 12 and 20 on non Linux OSes
(based on *many* factors).

http://www.amazon.com/sendmail-Performance-Tuning-Nick-Christenson/dp/0321115708
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/book/sendmail/

2) Do you use some DNSBLs to block connections from "low reputation"
sources before using more "CPU hungry filtering"?

Optimizing SMTP mail servers is almost always about *peak* load,
it is hardly ever about average load -> your load peaks are quite
likely caused by spam peaks (with 700 mails a day).

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/ http://anfi.homeunix.org/
From: RICCARDO on
On 13 Mag, 12:27, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:
> RICCARDO <ric.castell...(a)alice.it> wrote:
> > I'm using sendmail 8.12.10-1.1.1 and amavisd (with linked uvscan) for
> > my mail server, which process about 700 mail messages a day.There is
> > no other software on this mail server...
> > In maillog files I can see "rejecting connections on daemon MTA: load
> > average: XX" where XX is a number among 12 and 36. It occurs in a
> > changeable time, 40÷ 240 messages of rejecing connections" a day.
> > My sendmail.cf says:
>
> > #O QueueLA=8
> > #O RefuseLA=12
> > #O DelayLA=0
>
> > Can I modify it in this way ?
> > What do you think ?
>
> > #O QueueLA=20
> > #O RefuseLA=36
> > #O DelayLA=0
>
> > Or I can try to disable uvscan process to reduce load average ?
>
> 1) Do you run your sendmail on Linux?
> YES => Linux count LA unlike other OSes - it counts IO-waiting too
>
> Nick stated he usually used RefuseLA between 12 and 20 on non Linux OSes
> (based on *many* factors).

>  http://www.amazon.com/sendmail-Performance-Tuning-Nick-Christenson/dp....
>  http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/book/sendmail/
>
> 2) Do you use some DNSBLs to block connections from "low reputation"
> sources before using more "CPU hungry filtering"?
>
> Optimizing SMTP mail servers is almost always about *peak* load,
> it is hardly ever about average load -> your load peaks are quite
> likely caused by spam peaks (with 700 mails a day).
>
> --
> [pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : a...(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Fi...(a)gmail.comhttp://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/http://anfi.homeunix.org/
> I never killed a man that didn't deserve it.
>   -- Mickey Cohen

1) Yes I run my sendmail on Linux, Fedora Core 1
Do you think 36 as RefuseLA value is too high ?

2) Yes I'm using some DNSBLs to block connections but using firewall
which is before my mail server , even if I have problems with them
because it often occurs
mail servers, which are used by customers, go to these blacklists.
Do you know reliable DNSBL to use ?
Have you got suggestions to reduce peak ?

From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
RICCARDO <ric.castellani(a)alice.it> wrote:
> [...]
> 1) Yes I run my sendmail on Linux, Fedora Core 1
> Do you think 36 as RefuseLA value is too high ?

Current Fedora Core release and "LA for Linux" has been covered in
replies by other people.

> 2) Yes I'm using some DNSBLs to block connections but using firewall
> which is before my mail server , even if I have problems with them
> because it often occurs mail servers, which are used by customers, go
> to these blacklists. Do you know reliable DNSBL to use ?
> Have you got suggestions to reduce peak ?

Could you create list of your customers nets/ip addresses to exclude
them from DNSBL checks?
[It is possible via "X OK" entries in access table]

Have you considered using "variable strength" checks based on
"country of origin"?
[There are IP_address->country maps available via DNS]

e.g. using FEATURE(`anfi/rsdnsbl') you can use "basic checks" for
"near by countries"/neighbors, add some check for all other countries
and some extra (very picky) checks for "black sheep" countries.

--
http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/ http://anfi.homeunix.org/
<Stealth> How do I bind a computer to an NIS server?