From: Boba on
Hello,
I need a BIOS call to turn on
the INT 0x13 Extension? tia
Boba

From: Tim Roberts on
"Boba" <Boba(a)somewhere.net> wrote:

>I need a BIOS call to turn on
>the INT 0x13 Extension? tia

It's an odd question. You don't "turn on" the INT 13 extensions. They are
either present, or they are not.

However, you posted this in a Windows group, and in Windows INT 13 is
irrelevant. Windows doesn't use INT 13 for I/O.

What are you really trying to do?
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Boba on
Hi Tim;

"Tim Roberts" <timr(a)probo.com> wrote
in message news:3i7cu5doq4brrg7tg0nouf6iipmmop0doo(a)4ax.com...
> "Boba" <Boba(a)somewhere.net> wrote:
>>
>>I need a BIOS call to turn on
>>the INT 0x13 Extension? tia
>
> It's an odd question. You don't "turn on" the
> INT 13 extensions. They are either present,
> or they are not.

I've thought so too (since at least the times it
was introduced). Turned out, in some BIOSes, the
INT13+41 call comes back w/carry flag set if the
POST has not found any bootable disks supporting
the extension, in which case I need to 'turn it
on' myself.

> However, you posted this in a Windows group, and
> in Windows INT 13 is irrelevant. Windows doesn't
> use INT 13 for I/O.

I don't see anything wrong with using BIOS calls
for kernel writing.

> What are you really trying to do?

I am trying to fix a problem with some software
which relies on that extension. Thanks. Boba TC

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Windows INT 13 is irrelevant. Windows doesn't use INT 13 for I/O.<br>
kernel writing.<br>
in particular the one for Win32 programming with (roughly) the <code>KERNEL32.DLL</code>
API.&nbsp; This newsgroup isn't about writing kernels, or even about
kernel-mode programming on Windows NT.&nbsp; Firmware APIs are entirely
irrelevant to the Win32 programming discussed here.&nbsp; And as M. Roberts
also said, once it is past the very early stages of the bootstrap
process, the IBM PC/AT firmware disc I/O services are wholly irrelevant
to Windows NT.<br>
From: Boba on
Hi Jonathan;
"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote in message
> ...once it is past the very early stages
> of the bootstrap process,

what ng is the most appropriate for posting
a question regarding these stages? is ntldr
a part of kernel?