From: e-letter on
On 18/08/2010, chris h <chris404(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> php is not processing the file. There's a few reasons for this, but the
> first thing I would check is the permissions of the file. From the
> directory try
>
> $ ls -oa

The file permission was confirmed as root, since it was copied (as
root) from a normal user account directorp 'temporary' to the
directory '/var/www/html'

> This should tell you who owns the file and what it's permissions are. You
> mentioned that you copied it as root, you could change it's ownership to
> www-data.

This fails:

[root(a)localhost html]# chown www-data test.php
chown: `www-data': invalid user

So I repeated this with a normal user account and the change in
permission occurs. However, the html file containing the php script
remains unchanged.

The instruction:

<?php phpinfo() ?>

Does not show the version of php.
From: Peter Lind on
On 18 August 2010 12:47, e-letter <inpost(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/08/2010, chris h <chris404(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> php is not processing the file.  There's a few reasons for this, but the
>> first thing I would check is the permissions of the file.  From the
>> directory try
>>
>> $ ls -oa
>>
> The file permission was confirmed as root, since it was copied (as
> root) from a normal user account directorp 'temporary' to the
> directory '/var/www/html'
>
>> This should tell you who owns the file and what it's permissions are.  You
>> mentioned that you copied it as root, you could change it's ownership to
>> www-data.
>>
> This fails:
>
> [root(a)localhost html]# chown www-data test.php
> chown: `www-data': invalid user
>
> So I repeated this with a normal user account and the change in
> permission occurs. However, the html file containing the php script
> remains unchanged.
>
> The instruction:

> <?php phpinfo() ?>
>
> Does not show the version of php.

Your webserver might not be configured to process php files - which
server are you using?

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: e-letter on
On 18/08/2010, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 August 2010 12:47, e-letter <inpost(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18/08/2010, chris h <chris404(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> php is not processing the file. There's a few reasons for this, but the
>>> first thing I would check is the permissions of the file. From the
>>> directory try
>>>
>>> $ ls -oa
>>>
>> The file permission was confirmed as root, since it was copied (as
>> root) from a normal user account directorp 'temporary' to the
>> directory '/var/www/html'
>>
>>> This should tell you who owns the file and what it's permissions are.
>>> You
>>> mentioned that you copied it as root, you could change it's ownership to
>>> www-data.
>>>
>> This fails:
>>
>> [root(a)localhost html]# chown www-data test.php
>> chown: `www-data': invalid user
>>
>> So I repeated this with a normal user account and the change in
>> permission occurs. However, the html file containing the php script
>> remains unchanged.
>>
>> The instruction:

>> <?php phpinfo() ?>
>>
>> Does not show the version of php.
>>

> Your webserver might not be configured to process php files - which
> server are you using?

Apache. Below is an extract of an (to now) unanswered question:

<FilesMatch \.php$>
SetHandler application/x-httpd-php
</FilesMatch

Apparently this should be part of the addtype directive. I don't
understand which file I am to edit and add the code shown above.

So perhaps apache is not configured but I don't know how to test this.
From: chris h on
What are the actual file permissions when you run ls -o?

Do you know if PHP is installed as an apache mod or cgi? Also you might
check what user apache is running as.

possibly...
$ vi /etc/apache2/envvars

and look for something like...
export APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data

From: e-letter on
On 18/08/2010, chris h <chris404(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What are the actual file permissions when you run ls -o?

root

> Do you know if PHP is installed as an apache mod or cgi? Also you might
> check what user apache is running as.

No. How to verify?

> possibly...
> $ vi /etc/apache2/envvars

No apache2 on my computer, only '/usr/lib/apache' which contains only .so files.