From: "HallMarc Websites" on

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley Sheridan [mailto:ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:33 AM
To: e-letter
Cc: David McGlone; php-general(a)lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] tutorial failure

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 16:30 +0100, e-letter wrote:

> On 19/08/2010, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
> > As Colin suggested on another email, check to see if apache-mod_php was
> > installed too. It seems likely that it wasn't for some reason.
>
> How to verify please? Also, the instruction to use task-lamp; it seems
> this is for mysql but the database to be used is postgresql?

Use the package manager to check and see if that was installed. I'm not
familiar with the command line for rpmi, having used Yum on Fedora
mostly, but on that you would just do a 'yum list apache-mod*' to see
what apache mods were installed and available, so I assume something
similar exists for rpmi.

The task-lamp will be using MySQL, as it is the 'm' of lamp (Linux,
Apache, MySQL & PHP)

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I agree with the earlier take on this situation; you need to start at the
beginning and learn the basics regarding the technologies BEFORE you try and
manage them. You're trying to drive a car when you don't even know what or
car is and how to operate one so you keep crashing.

Here are some great sites to check out:
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/
http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL
http://www.w3schools.com/
There are some great books out there as well to help you learn and I
recommend getting the reference guides as well. Since the gist of this
thread seems to be focused on the LAPP set-up and mainly an Apache (?)
configuration issue you might try the forums and mailing lists found there
as well.

I hope you find this helpful.

Marc Hall
HallMarc Websites
"Well, if all else fails; read the directions." - Dear old Dad, RIP

database 5379 (20100819) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 5379 (20100819) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: e-letter on
On 19/08/2010, HallMarc Websites <sales(a)hallmarcwebsites.com> wrote:
> I agree with the earlier take on this situation; you need to start at the
> beginning and learn the basics regarding the technologies BEFORE you try and
> manage them. You're trying to drive a car when you don't even know what or
> car is and how to operate one so you keep crashing.
>
> Here are some great sites to check out:
> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1868
> http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL
> http://www.w3schools.com/
> There are some great books out there as well to help you learn and I
> recommend getting the reference guides as well. Since the gist of this
> thread seems to be focused on the LAPP set-up and mainly an Apache (?)
> configuration issue you might try the forums and mailing lists found there
> as well.

No response from apache forum. Looking at the web browser output from
the processing of the php file, the partial success of processing the
file suggests that the problem is with php; if it was due to apache,
html code would be affected as well?
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 19:04 +0100, e-letter wrote:

> On 19/08/2010, HallMarc Websites <sales(a)hallmarcwebsites.com> wrote:
> > I agree with the earlier take on this situation; you need to start at the
> > beginning and learn the basics regarding the technologies BEFORE you try and
> > manage them. You're trying to drive a car when you don't even know what or
> > car is and how to operate one so you keep crashing.
> >
> > Here are some great sites to check out:
> > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/
> > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1868
> > http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL
> > http://www.w3schools.com/
> > There are some great books out there as well to help you learn and I
> > recommend getting the reference guides as well. Since the gist of this
> > thread seems to be focused on the LAPP set-up and mainly an Apache (?)
> > configuration issue you might try the forums and mailing lists found there
> > as well.
> >
> No response from apache forum. Looking at the web browser output from
> the processing of the php file, the partial success of processing the
> file suggests that the problem is with php; if it was due to apache,
> html code would be affected as well?

No, because Apache doesn't need to process HTML in the same way it needs
to process PHP. The tag <?php in your code is being sent down to your
browser as HTML (view the source on the page you're browsing to) and
interpreted as a tag by your browser, hence what appears to be partially
processed output.

It's fairly clear by now that Apache does not know about your PHP
install (if there even is one)

I've just set up and installed PHP and Apache on my Mandriva box since
I've been at home, and it took all of 5 minutes from within the package
manager. Trust me, it's far easier to go that route than install the
packages one-by-one as you seem to be doing as, unless you know exactly
what packages you need, it's all too easy to miss installing something.

Are you able to install with the package manager, or is installing via
the command line absolutely necessary?

From: David McGlone on
On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 22:24 +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 19:04 +0100, e-letter wrote:
> > On 19/08/2010, HallMarc Websites <sales(a)hallmarcwebsites.com> wrote:
> > > I agree with the earlier take on this situation; you need to start at the
> > > beginning and learn the basics regarding the technologies BEFORE you try and
> > > manage them. You're trying to drive a car when you don't even know what or
> > > car is and how to operate one so you keep crashing.
> > >
> > > Here are some great sites to check out:
> > > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/
> > > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1868
> > > http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/
> > > There are some great books out there as well to help you learn and I
> > > recommend getting the reference guides as well. Since the gist of this
> > > thread seems to be focused on the LAPP set-up and mainly an Apache (?)
> > > configuration issue you might try the forums and mailing lists found there
> > > as well.
> > >
> > No response from apache forum. Looking at the web browser output from
> > the processing of the php file, the partial success of processing the
> > file suggests that the problem is with php; if it was due to apache,
> > html code would be affected as well?
> >

> No, because Apache doesn't need to process HTML in the same way it
> needs to process PHP. The tag <?php in your code is being sent down to
> your browser as HTML (view the source on the page you're browsing to)
> and interpreted as a tag by your browser, hence what appears to be
> partially processed output.
>
> It's fairly clear by now that Apache does not know about your PHP
> install (if there even is one)

This is my suspicion also.

> I've just set up and installed PHP and Apache on my Mandriva box since
> I've been at home, and it took all of 5 minutes

What was the name of the PHP package you installed? I E-Mailed him
offline and had him run the command rpm -q php5 to try and figure out if
php was installed and he replied with this:

<quote>
> No package by this name in the repository; have libphp5_common5
> installed.
</quote>

Well I don't know what the name of the php5 in mandrake, so I can't tell
whether he's actually got php installed at all.

--
Blessings,
David M.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 18:09 -0400, David McGlone wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 22:24 +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> > > No response from apache forum. Looking at the web browser output from
> > > the processing of the php file, the partial success of processing the
> > > file suggests that the problem is with php; if it was due to apache,
> > > html code would be affected as well?
> > >

> > No, because Apache doesn't need to process HTML in the same way it
> > needs to process PHP. The tag <?php in your code is being sent down to
> > your browser as HTML (view the source on the page you're browsing to)
> > and interpreted as a tag by your browser, hence what appears to be
> > partially processed output.
> >
> > It's fairly clear by now that Apache does not know about your PHP
> > install (if there even is one)
>

> This is my suspicion also.
>

> > I've just set up and installed PHP and Apache on my Mandriva box since
> > I've been at home, and it took all of 5 minutes
>
> What was the name of the PHP package you installed? I E-Mailed him
> offline and had him run the command rpm -q php5 to try and figure out if
> php was installed and he replied with this:
>
> <quote>
> > No package by this name in the repository; have libphp5_common5
> > installed.
> </quote>
>
> Well I don't know what the name of the php5 in mandrake, so I can't tell
> whether he's actually got php installed at all.
>

> --
> Blessings,
> David M.

I used the GUI: K-Menu->Configure your Computer->Install & Remove
Software

Then searched for 'php', and the first package listed was
apache-mod_php, which I installed along with the other php modules that
I normally install (like GD, mcrypt, etc). The package manager sorts out
dependencies very well. I'm not sure if installing over the command line
with rpmi will deal with dependencies like this, and it certainly won't
automatically install apache-mod_php if php is installed, as php doesn't
necessarily *have* to run as a web server module, let alone as an Apache
one specifically.