From: Joseph H. Rosevear on
I installed Slackware 13.1 to a new ext4 file system. Slackware 13.0
was working (in a different partition), but I wanted to see what
benefits would be found in 13.1.

When my new Slackware 13.1 starts I get these messages

udevd[939]: failed to create queue file: Read-only file system
udevd[937]: error creating queue file

and subsequently a *long* delay with this message visible

Starting HAL daemon: /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes

After getting a login prompt I log in as root and check the processes
like this

ps -A | less

No "hald" is in the list, so it looks like the daemon failed to start
due to problems with write permission.

How can I solve this problem?

-Joe
From: Muspellsson on
I've also encountered this problem on my Salix, after udev update.
Besides udevd error messages I'm also getting messages from mount when
mounting root fs. But these message just talks me about right mount
usage. I think, it's new udev problem, don't know how to solve it...
From: joe on
Muspellsson <isukin.intelliware(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've also encountered this problem on my Salix, after udev update.
> Besides udevd error messages I'm also getting messages from mount when
> mounting root fs. But these message just talks me about right mount
> usage. I think, it's new udev problem, don't know how to solve it...

Thanks for you input. It is an odd problem. Odder still now that I've
learned a bit more. The problem went away when I changed the way I made my
initrd.gz file (see my other post about adding block devices). The way I
was using involved making changes to the initrd-tree then re-running
mkinitrd. That is supposed to be doable, but in this case I either made
a mistake or tripped on a bug. I don't know which.

I still plan to modify the initrd-tree an re-run mkinitrd, but now that I've
got something that works, I'll make the changes in smaller steps. Hopefully
that will lead me to success.

-Joe