From: Cat_in_awe on
About every 24-36 hours I get this error in the Event Viewer: "The server
was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged
pool because the pool was empty.", Event 2019. After this comes up several
times, a variety of other errors may appear in the Event Viewer and it
usually does a minidump and reboots (or it freezes up and I have to manually
reboot). Usually the computer is idle when this happens, though Outlook2003
and a copy of Internet Explorer7 are open.

I've read this has something to do with an application with a memory leak,
but nothing in the Task Manager looks out of the ordinary to me (regarding
NPpool memory, virtual memory, memory usage, handles, etc). I've tried
disabling my Avast AV and Windows Defender, but I still have the problem.

I tried using Poolmon.exe but the results of that were basically
inscrutable. I couldn't tell what would be good or bad on that display.

Is this the kind of thing that would be corrected with a clean Windows
install? Or any other suggestions short of a Windows reinstall?

WindowsXP, SP3, Compaq laptop.

--
Gregg C.

From: philo on
Cat_in_awe wrote:
> About every 24-36 hours I get this error in the Event Viewer: "The server
> was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged
> pool because the pool was empty.", Event 2019. After this comes up several
> times, a variety of other errors may appear in the Event Viewer and it
> usually does a minidump and reboots (or it freezes up and I have to manually
> reboot). Usually the computer is idle when this happens, though Outlook2003
> and a copy of Internet Explorer7 are open.
>
> I've read this has something to do with an application with a memory leak,
> but nothing in the Task Manager looks out of the ordinary to me (regarding
> NPpool memory, virtual memory, memory usage, handles, etc). I've tried
> disabling my Avast AV and Windows Defender, but I still have the problem.
>
> I tried using Poolmon.exe but the results of that were basically
> inscrutable. I couldn't tell what would be good or bad on that display.
>
> Is this the kind of thing that would be corrected with a clean Windows
> install? Or any other suggestions short of a Windows reinstall?
>
> WindowsXP, SP3, Compaq laptop.

Run a RAM test