From: icccapital on
I recently spent a lot of time trying to figure out why our mobile devices
would not sync after turning on SSL on the Default Website. It seems that
exchange-oma should not have it turned on and after doing some reading I have
an idea of why. But I thought I needed a better understanding of how the
mobile device directories were interrelated: ie OMA,
microsoft-server-activesync and exchange-oma.

Can anyone point me to a good guide on this? It does not seem there is a
great guide on the web for these kinds of problems.

thanks
From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

OMA is just a plain HTTP website. Even if you enable SSL, you should still
be able to access OMA at http://yourserver/OMA or optionally at
https://yourserver/OMA.

Server-ActiveSync runs over HTTPS by default. So, enabling SSL would have
been a requirement (unless you change the default WinMo configuration to
allow sync over HTTP only)

Maybe you could explain the actual symptoms you are seeing, rather than just
saying "it doesn't work"

Cheers
Ken

From: icccapital on
Ken,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. To be clear the functionality
is now working. The setup that seems to work is SSL off on website
exchange-oma, SSL on Server-Active_Sync and OMA.

What I was looking for is if anyone knew of a good guide or description to
these websites in IIS because while I did seem to get the setup so that users
could login it took a very long time to figure out to turn SSL off on
exchange-oma and I still don't understand why or how it all works internally.
ie when a user attempts to sync from their mobile how do they interact with
the server and what parts?

Your information was helpful so maybe you know of a good resource for this?

Thank you