From: otis on
any freeware tool to unformat an NTFS ext non bootable drive. or just
recover a folder off it?

thx
From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on

In news:u4QJset8FHA.444(a)TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
otis <otisspamblotisno(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> any freeware tool to unformat an NTFS ext non bootable drive. or just
> recover a folder off it?
>
> thx

I don't know how one can 'unformat' a hard drive - you can only format it,
or convert its format.

Re converting - you can't convert from NTFS to FAT32 using the built-in
convert tool - you'd need third party software, and I don't know of a free
one. Acronis comes to mind, though, and they make some handy software
indeed.

A better idea might be to first try mounting this drive as a slave in a
working computer running XP (or 2k or NT) and see if you can get your
file(s) back that way. This is, of course, presuming the drive is actually
not busted.

From: Malke on
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:

> In news:u4QJset8FHA.444(a)TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> otis <otisspamblotisno(a)yahoo.com> typed:
>> any freeware tool to unformat an NTFS ext non bootable drive. or
>> just recover a folder off it?
>>
>> thx
>
> I don't know how one can 'unformat' a hard drive - you can only format
> it, or convert its format.
>
> Re converting - you can't convert from NTFS to FAT32 using the
> built-in convert tool - you'd need third party software, and I don't
> know of a free one. Acronis comes to mind, though, and they make some
> handy software indeed.
>
> A better idea might be to first try mounting this drive as a slave in
> a working computer running XP (or 2k or NT) and see if you can get
> your file(s) back that way. This is, of course, presuming the drive is
> actually not busted.

I think what we're seeing here, mi hermana, is an end user who
mistakenly formatted his hard drive and forgot to back up something
Really Important first. I think Partition Magic can do unformatting,
but I don't know if you would have to have created the partition with
PM first.

I'd suggest the OP contact a professional computer repair shop (not the
proverbial BigStoreUSA) for data recovery services. If there isn't
anyone local who can do it, there's always DriveSavers
(www.drivesavers.com). It just depends on how important the data was
and how much the OP wants to spend.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
From: Plato on
otis wrote:

> any freeware tool to unformat an NTFS ext non bootable drive. or just
> recover a folder off it?

I do not believe there are any freeware tools to unformat an NTFS drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on

In news:ONgfVEv8FHA.2036(a)TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Malke <notreally(a)invalid.com> typed:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>

>> In news:u4QJset8FHA.444(a)TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>> otis <otisspamblotisno(a)yahoo.com> typed:
>>> any freeware tool to unformat an NTFS ext non bootable drive. or
>>> just recover a folder off it?
>>>
>>> thx
>>
>> I don't know how one can 'unformat' a hard drive - you can only
>> format it, or convert its format.
>>
>> Re converting - you can't convert from NTFS to FAT32 using the
>> built-in convert tool - you'd need third party software, and I don't
>> know of a free one. Acronis comes to mind, though, and they make some
>> handy software indeed.
>>
>> A better idea might be to first try mounting this drive as a slave in
>> a working computer running XP (or 2k or NT) and see if you can get
>> your file(s) back that way. This is, of course, presuming the drive
>> is actually not busted.
>
> I think what we're seeing here, mi hermana, is an end user who
> mistakenly formatted his hard drive and forgot to back up something
> Really Important first.

?Ay, D?os mio!

I think Partition Magic can do unformatting,
> but I don't know if you would have to have created the partition with
> PM first.
>
> I'd suggest the OP contact a professional computer repair shop (not
> the proverbial BigStoreUSA) for data recovery services. If there isn't
> anyone local who can do it, there's always DriveSavers
> (www.drivesavers.com). It just depends on how important the data was
> and how much the OP wants to spend.

I agree... good catch, M.

> Malke