From: Jeremy Allison on
On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:33:30AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:38:50AM +0200, Stefan Götz wrote:
> > > Sorry for that, but Samba just can't afford to be called
> > > insecure by default.
> >
> > Absolutely - and I do very much respect the reasons for
> > that. So Linda and I are
> > suggesting a non-default option or option value called something like
> > "YesIWantToShootMyselfInTheFootAndWontComplainAboutItOnSlashdotSoTurnOnWideLinks"
> > instead of reverting to an insecure default. In our usage
> > scenarios, such a shot in the foot is something quite
> > desirable and useful.
>
> If you asked me, I would support that.
>
> insecure wide links and unix extensions = yes
>
> or so. Now you have to convince Jeremy to also accept it :-)

Ok, I'm or with a "wide links = insecure" option, with
the man page expressing the opinion that enabling it is
insane :-).

But I'm not spending the time to code it up (but will
test and apply patches from people who do :-).

Jeremy.
Jeremy Allison had this to say:

> Ok, I'm or with a "wide links = insecure" option, with
> the man page expressing the opinion that enabling it is
> insane :-).
>
> But I'm not spending the time to code it up (but will
> test and apply patches from people who do :-).

So then this:

"It is a big mistake to set the wide links Samba parameter to no in the
Samba configuration file /etc/smb.conf."

<http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap29sec287.html>

should be completely ignored, I guess?

I'm a bit new to Samba ....
On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:04:03PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> Jeremy Allison had this to say:
>
>> Ok, I'm or with a "wide links = insecure" option, with
>> the man page expressing the opinion that enabling it is
>> insane :-).
>>
>> But I'm not spending the time to code it up (but will
>> test and apply patches from people who do :-).
>
> So then this:
>
> "It is a big mistake to set the wide links Samba parameter to no in the
> Samba configuration file /etc/smb.conf."
>
> <http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap29sec287.html>
>
> should be completely ignored, I guess?
>
> I'm a bit new to Samba ....

Yep, out of date now I'm afraid.

Jeremy.
Hi Volker!

> Sorry for that, but Samba just can't afford to be called
> insecure by default.

Absolutely - and I do very much respect the reasons for that. So Linda and I are
suggesting a non-default option or option value called something like
"YesIWantToShootMyselfInTheFootAndWontComplainAboutItOnSlashdotSoTurnOnWideLinks"
instead of reverting to an insecure default. In our usage scenarios, such a shot
in the foot is something quite desirable and useful.

Stefan
--
Stefan Götz, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group