From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:35:00 -0400, J Lunis <jay.lunis(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a USB HD I partitioned in XP. Now, in Vista hOME Premium, I want
> to unpartition (if that's a word) the HD. Can't find how to do it.

Exactly what do you want to accomplish? Am I correct in assuming that
you have two or more partitions, and you want to end up with just a
single partition, using all the available space?

If all you did was literally unpartition the drive, it would then be
unusable until you re-established one or more partitions on it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: J Lunis on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:35:00 -0400, J Lunis <jay.lunis(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a USB HD I partitioned in XP. Now, in Vista hOME Premium, I want
>> to unpartition (if that's a word) the HD. Can't find how to do it.
>

> Exactly what do you want to accomplish? Am I correct in assuming that
> you have two or more partitions, and you want to end up with just a
> single partition, using all the available space?
>
> If all you did was literally unpartition the drive, it would then be
> unusable until you re-established one or more partitions on it.

currently the HD is divided into 3 partitions of roughly equal size.
No data of any consequence on any of the three. I can delete/reformat
to my heart's content.
I want to end up with 'undecided' - one or two partitions. Does it matter?
From: Bill in Co. on
J Lunis wrote:
> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:35:00 -0400, J Lunis <jay.lunis(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a USB HD I partitioned in XP. Now, in Vista hOME Premium, I want
>>> to unpartition (if that's a word) the HD. Can't find how to do it.
>>

>> Exactly what do you want to accomplish? Am I correct in assuming that
>> you have two or more partitions, and you want to end up with just a
>> single partition, using all the available space?
>>
>> If all you did was literally unpartition the drive, it would then be
>> unusable until you re-established one or more partitions on it.
>>

> currently the HD is divided into 3 partitions of roughly equal size.
> No data of any consequence on any of the three. I can delete/reformat
> to my heart's content.
> I want to end up with 'undecided' - one or two partitions. Does it matter?

There is no "undecided". Either you end up with one or two, and it's not
ambiguous.

From: J Lunis on
Bill in Co. wrote:
> J Lunis wrote:
>> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

>>> Exactly what do you want to accomplish? Am I correct in assuming that
>>> you have two or more partitions, and you want to end up with just a
>>> single partition, using all the available space?
>>>
>>> If all you did was literally unpartition the drive, it would then be
>>> unusable until you re-established one or more partitions on it.
>>>
>> currently the HD is divided into 3 partitions of roughly equal size.
>> No data of any consequence on any of the three. I can delete/reformat
>> to my heart's content.
>> I want to end up with 'undecided' - one or two partitions. Does it matter?
>
> There is no "undecided". Either you end up with one or two, and it's not
> ambiguous.

Ummm, as we speak, the decision is still not made - thus, undecided.
Most likely, I will end up combining the 3 into 1 partition. Most
likely, but not cast in stone.
From: Allan on

"J Lunis" <jay.lunis(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a USB HD I partitioned in XP. Now, in Vista hOME Premium, I want to
>unpartition (if that's a word) the HD. Can't find how to do it. Help
>please.
I take it you want to "repartition" your USB HD. This question may be better
directed at a NG dedicated to Vista, not XP.