From: BassVibes17 on
Everytime i log onto my laptop im told i have updates to install but they
fail everytime showing error code 8007007A.
Looking back through my update history there seems to be more 'fail' then
'successful'. Last update to go through was Office Genuine Advantage
Notifictions (KB971961).
Does anyone know a way around this or why its doing this?
(Preferably in simple english as i dont really understand the technical talk
of it all.)

thanks

From: MowGreen on
8007007A ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER
The data area passed to a system call is too small

Is that simple enough ? Heck, I don't even know what it signifies and
going by the debate held here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/04/04/8355308.aspx
folks who work for/or *use* to work for MS don't either.

1. How long have updates failed to install, BassVibes17 ?

2. *What* is the installed antivirus/security suite and is a 3rd party
firewall being used ?

3. Have you attempted to manually install any of the failed updates ?

You can search for them here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx
enter KB and the number of the update in the 'Search All Download
Center' field at the top of the page.

EX: Security Update for Windows Vista (KB967723)
Enter KB967723 in the Search All Download Center thingy and click what
appears to be, the tennis racket next to it. If ain't a tennis racket it
may be a magnifying glass FWIW. <w>

BE sure to download the correct update for the edition of Vista
installed and *SAVE* it. If the installed edition of Vista is x86
[32bit], then download and save that specific update.

You can tell which edition of Vista is installed by clicking the Start
orb and then type in
msinfo32
Under Programs, click on msinfo.32.exe
In the right frame, next to 'System Type', you'll see if the system is
x86 [32bit] or x64 [64bit].

After the download completes, close any open programs or browsers, now
*double left click* on the downloaded update to start it's installation.

Did the update install ?

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
MowGreen wrote:

> 8007007A ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER
> The data area passed to a system call is too small
>
> Is that simple enough ? Heck, I don't even know what it signifies and
> going by the debate held here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/04/04/8355308.aspx
> folks who work for/or *use* to work for MS don't either.

In a programming context, the meaning is perfectly clear: the Windows Update
Agent asked the operating system for some information, but the answer was too
large to fit into the space the Windows Update Agent provided for it. Imagine
one of those forms with little squares for putting the letters in, only you've
got too many letters and not enough squares. :-)

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell what information was being requested,
so this isn't much practical help, and I can't suggest any better diagnostics
than those you've already mentioned.

Harry.

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"BassVibes17" <BassVibes17(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF841BB6-08F6-4FEF-90C5-3F4E3AFF7C91(a)microsoft.com...
> Everytime i log onto my laptop im told i have updates to install but they
> fail everytime showing error code 8007007A.

I wouldn't be surprised if that code is not your most significant diagnostic.
E.g. I imagine you would see that if there were an overabundance of other
errors being reported ealier. Then the first error code might be the most
interesting and useful to focus on.

> Looking back through my update history there seems to be more 'fail' then
> 'successful'. Last update to go through was Office Genuine Advantage
> Notifictions (KB971961).
> Does anyone know a way around this or why its doing this?

> (Preferably in simple english as i dont really understand the technical talk
> of it all.)

It's all pretty simple, really. Just logic. 1's and 0's. ; )

BTW besides the normal WindowsUpdate.log (ref. KB902093)
to use as a diagnostic you may find clues in Vista's CBS.log
E.g. you might have to use the latter to supplement whatever context
you find for whatever other errors you find in the former. Etc.

> thanks

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---