From: Bob Tennent on
When I try to do a yum update on a Fedora 11 system, I'm getting strange
messages:

http://dl.atrpms.net/f11-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4]
IOError: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>

Another symptom is that Firefox produces

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com

*unless* I use privoxy as a local proxy. Opera seems to be unaffected
but konqueror produces

Cannot talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server.

The program on your computer which provides access to the http
protocol could not be started. This is usually due to technical reasons.

A third symptom that might be relevant is the following system message:

localhost pulseaudio[4068]: main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-m7qkzT4Q7E: Connection refused

Can anybody explain what has happened?

Bob T.
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Bob Tennent a �crit :
> When I try to do a yum update on a Fedora 11 system, I'm getting strange
> messages:
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/f11-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4]
> IOError: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
>
> Another symptom is that Firefox produces
>
> Server not found
>
> Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com
>
> *unless* I use privoxy as a local proxy. Opera seems to be unaffected

Looks like a name resolution issue. Check /etc/resolv.conf, then check
with host/dig/nslookup that the mentionned nameservers behave correctly.
From: Bob Tennent on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:34:36 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bob Tennent a �crit :
>> When I try to do a yum update on a Fedora 11 system, I'm getting strange
>> messages:
>>
>> http://dl.atrpms.net/f11-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4]
>> IOError: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
>>
>> Another symptom is that Firefox produces
>>
>> Server not found
>>
>> Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com
>>
>> *unless* I use privoxy as a local proxy. Opera seems to be unaffected
>
> Looks like a name resolution issue. Check /etc/resolv.conf, then check
> with host/dig/nslookup that the mentionned nameservers behave correctly.

I don't believe so. It's http that's problematic. ping and ssh work
fine.
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Bob Tennent a �crit :

> >> Another symptom is that Firefox produces
> >>
> >> Server not found
> >>
> >> Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com
> >>
> >> *unless* I use privoxy as a local proxy. Opera seems to be unaffected
> >
> > Looks like a name resolution issue. Check /etc/resolv.conf, then check
> > with host/dig/nslookup that the mentionned nameservers behave correctly.
>
> I don't believe so. It's http that's problematic. ping and ssh work
> fine.

That message from Firefox really looks like a name resolution failure.
What about telnet to port 80 of some web server hostname ?
From: Bob Tennent on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:47:41 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Bob Tennent a �crit :

>> > Looks like a name resolution issue. Check /etc/resolv.conf, then check
>> > with host/dig/nslookup that the mentionned nameservers behave correctly.
>>
>> I don't believe so. It's http that's problematic. ping and ssh work
>> fine.
>
> That message from Firefox really looks like a name resolution failure.

Then why would it connect fine using privoxy?

> What about telnet to port 80 of some web server hostname ?

Works.