From: Leland Hovey on
I'm trying to get a handle on what's needed to run the wpa supplicant.
Is there some way I could get assistance getting it started? I'm
using
the ipw2200. What items are necessary for the .config file? Does
someone have a versatile example that works for most cases?

cheers for linux devel,
matias
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-16, Leland Hovey <matias.364(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a handle on what's needed to run the wpa supplicant.
> Is there some way I could get assistance getting it started? I'm
> using
> the ipw2200. What items are necessary for the .config file? Does
> someone have a versatile example that works for most cases?

On what distribution? Most are set up to automatically run wpasupplicant
if the access point requires wpa encryption.

The /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file is the file wpa uses.
It's contents depend on the AP it is dealing with.
There are examples in that file.

From: p_a on
On Jan 16, 2:28 pm, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-01-16, Leland Hovey <matias....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get a handle on what's needed to run the wpa supplicant.
> > Is there some way I could get assistance getting it started?  I'm
> > using
> > the ipw2200.  What items are necessary for the .config file?  Does
> > someone have a versatile example that works for most cases?
>
> On what distribution? Most are set up to automatically run wpasupplicant
> if the access point requires wpa encryption.
>
> The /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file is the file wpa uses.
> It's contents depend on the AP it is dealing with.
> There are examples in that file.
OK, this is what I've found:

1. Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.30.10-105.fc11.i586 #1 SMP Thu Dec
24 16:26:26 UTC 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

2. What is the instruction to check if a connection is wpa?

3. Looking thru the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file, the entire contents
is:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

Would you think that this is sufficient?
From: samhas on
I think it depends on your network environment.

The wpa_supplicant.conf usually has some network sections setting
parameters for your network.

A sample section for WPA with psk is e.g.:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
ssid="your ssid"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="your psk"
}

for more compilicated settings you could read the wpa_supplicant.conf
manpage. There are many examples covering the typical network setting.

Your can start wpa_supplicant manually by wpa_supplicant -c path-to-
config-file -i interface -D driver (-D wext should work in most
cases),
or use some user interface like wpa_cli or networkmanager in kde/
gnome. I have no experience with the latter :)

hth, samhas
From: p_a on
On Jan 17, 6:09 am, samhas <sahaselho...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think it depends on your network environment.
>
> The wpa_supplicant.conf usually has some network sections setting
> parameters for your network.
>
> A sample section for WPA with psk is e.g.:
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
> ssid="your ssid"
> scan_ssid=1
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> psk="your psk"
>
> }
>
> for more compilicated settings you could read the wpa_supplicant.conf
> manpage. There are many examples covering the typical network setting.
>
> Your can start wpa_supplicant manually by wpa_supplicant -c path-to-
> config-file -i interface -D driver (-D wext should work in most
> cases),
> or use some user interface like wpa_cli or networkmanager in kde/
> gnome. I have no experience with the latter :)
>
> hth, samhas

I check my process table and found wpa_supplicant running. How can I
make sure
this application is doing what it is supposed to?

matias