From: Yves Dhondt on
The good news is that there is a dockable find pane in Word 2010 (see
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_word/archive/2009/08/11/the-new-find-experience.aspx).

The solution for Word 2007 would be to whip up your own custom task pane on
which you added a find box. VBA does not support the creation of custom task
panes from scratch as far as I know, so you would have to go the VSTO way.

Yves

From: Yves Dhondt on
And suppose the window was dockable, wouldn't the same effect appear? If you
are going to sacrifice screen real estate for the find box, it doesn't
matter if it is inside or outside the Word application window.

From: Yves Dhondt on
Thinking about it some more, I wonder if you couldn't create a 'Find' tab on
the ribbon. All you would have to add are a textbox and a couple of buttons
and bind those to simple macros (or maybe even directly to the find
commands). That way, you wouldn't loose any screen real estate.

A good starting place is http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

Yves