From: catharinus on
Hello to you all

I use word in a vb6 application to show a rft-file. See the code
below. When I want to close the Word-dociument, Word asks me the
following:
"The file norma.doc already exists. Do you wnat to replace the
existing file" After answeering 'No' I want to close Word itself.
Then I get the following question: Changes have been made that affect
the global template. Do you wnat to save those changes"

Why do I get those questions and how can I prevent those questions in
my vb6-application?
Thanks
Catharinus van der Werf
csvanderwerf(a)planet.nl

Set moApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
moApp.Visible = False
cpTekst="Sample Text"
Set MOWB = moApp.Documents.Open("Afdruk.rtf")

'Show Word if you wish
moApp.Visible = True
'moApp.Activate

'moApp.Selection.TypeText cpTekst '"This is sample text"

'Save the file. If the document exists it is overwriten
'MOWB.SaveAs "Afdruk.rtf"
'MOWB.Close
'moApp.Quit
Set MOWB = Nothing
Set moApp = Nothing
From: MikeD on

"catharinus" <csvanderwerf(a)planet.nl> wrote in message
> Hello to you all
>
> I use word in a vb6 application to show a rft-file. See the code
> below. When I want to close the Word-dociument, Word asks me the
> following:
> "The file norma.doc already exists. Do you wnat to replace the
> existing file" After answeering 'No' I want to close Word itself.
> Then I get the following question: Changes have been made that affect
> the global template. Do you wnat to save those changes"
>
> Why do I get those questions and how can I prevent those questions in
> my vb6-application?
> Thanks
> Catharinus van der Werf
> csvanderwerf(a)planet.nl
>

> Set moApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
> moApp.Visible = False
> cpTekst="Sample Text"
> Set MOWB = moApp.Documents.Open("Afdruk.rtf")
>
> 'Show Word if you wish
> moApp.Visible = True
> 'moApp.Activate
>
> 'moApp.Selection.TypeText cpTekst '"This is sample text"
>
> 'Save the file. If the document exists it is overwriten
> 'MOWB.SaveAs "Afdruk.rtf"
> 'MOWB.Close
> 'moApp.Quit
> Set MOWB = Nothing
> Set moApp = Nothing

I don't get either of those prompts using your code, even with the commented
lines uncommented. This is with Word 2007. My best guess as to why you get
them is that you have a different version of Word and the functionality is
different, or, I think there could be a setting in Word to prompt to save
templates. Or a third option might be that there's actually more code you're
not showing us.

But I have to ask: Why are you using Word for this? Drop a RichTextBox
control onto a form and load the .rtf file in that. The obvious advantage is
that your app will not require Word be installed. If all you're doing is
showing the file, there's very little code you'd have to write, less than
you've already written to use Word to do this.

--
Mike

From: catharinus on
On 13 feb, 13:19, "MikeD" <nob...(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:
> "catharinus" <csvanderw...(a)planet.nl> wrote in message

> > Hello to you all
>
> > I use word in a vb6 application to show a rft-file. See the code
> > below. When I want to close the Word-dociument, Word asks me the
> > following:
> > "The file norma.doc already exists. Do you wnat to replace the
> > existing file"  After answeering 'No' I want to close Word itself.
> > Then I get the following question: Changes have been made that affect
> > the global template. Do you wnat to save those changes"
>
> > Why do I get those questions and how can I prevent those questions in
> > my vb6-application?
> > Thanks
> > Catharinus van der Werf
> > csvanderw...(a)planet.nl
>
> >   Set moApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
> >    moApp.Visible = False
> >    cpTekst="Sample Text"
> >    Set MOWB = moApp.Documents.Open("Afdruk.rtf")
>
> >    'Show Word if you wish
> >    moApp.Visible = True
> >    'moApp.Activate
>
> >     'moApp.Selection.TypeText cpTekst '"This is sample text"
>
> >    'Save the file. If the document exists it is overwriten
> >    'MOWB.SaveAs "Afdruk.rtf"
> >    'MOWB.Close
> >   'moApp.Quit
> >    Set MOWB = Nothing
> >    Set moApp = Nothing
>
> I don't get either of those prompts using your code, even with the commented
> lines uncommented.  This is with Word 2007. My best guess as to why you get
> them is that you have a different version of Word and the functionality is
> different, or, I think there could be a setting in Word to prompt to save
> templates. Or a third option might be that there's actually more code you're
> not showing us.
>
> But I have to ask:  Why are you using Word for this?  Drop a RichTextBox
> control onto a form and load the .rtf file in that. The obvious advantage is
> that your app will not require Word be installed. If all you're doing is
> showing the file, there's very little code you'd have to write, less than
> you've already written to use Word to do this.
>
> --
> Mike- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Oke Mike, thanks

T tried the same as you did: just execute this small piece of code.
The first time, nothing was wrong, but executing it again caused word
showing the messges again.

Catharinus van der Werf
csvanderwerf(a)planet.nl
From: catharinus on
On 13 feb, 14:28, catharinus <csvanderw...(a)planet.nl> wrote:
> On 13 feb, 13:19, "MikeD" <nob...(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:
>

> > "catharinus" <csvanderw...(a)planet.nl> wrote in message

> > > Hello to you all
>
> > > I use word in a vb6 application to show a rft-file. See the code
> > > below. When I want to close the Word-dociument, Word asks me the
> > > following:
> > > "The file norma.doc already exists. Do you wnat to replace the
> > > existing file"  After answeering 'No' I want to close Word itself.
> > > Then I get the following question: Changes have been made that affect
> > > the global template. Do you wnat to save those changes"
>
> > > Why do I get those questions and how can I prevent those questions in
> > > my vb6-application?
> > > Thanks
> > > Catharinus van der Werf
> > > csvanderw...(a)planet.nl
>
> > >   Set moApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
> > >    moApp.Visible = False
> > >    cpTekst="Sample Text"
> > >    Set MOWB = moApp.Documents.Open("Afdruk.rtf")
>
> > >    'Show Word if you wish
> > >    moApp.Visible = True
> > >    'moApp.Activate
>
> > >     'moApp.Selection.TypeText cpTekst '"This is sample text"
>
> > >    'Save the file. If the document exists it is overwriten
> > >    'MOWB.SaveAs "Afdruk.rtf"
> > >    'MOWB.Close
> > >   'moApp.Quit
> > >    Set MOWB = Nothing
> > >    Set moApp = Nothing
>
> > I don't get either of those prompts using your code, even with the commented
> > lines uncommented.  This is with Word 2007. My best guess as to why you get
> > them is that you have a different version of Word and the functionality is
> > different, or, I think there could be a setting in Word to prompt to save
> > templates. Or a third option might be that there's actually more code you're
> > not showing us.
>
> > But I have to ask:  Why are you using Word for this?  Drop a RichTextBox
> > control onto a form and load the .rtf file in that. The obvious advantage is
> > that your app will not require Word be installed. If all you're doing is
> > showing the file, there's very little code you'd have to write, less than
> > you've already written to use Word to do this.
>
> > --
> > Mike- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>
> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -
>
> Oke Mike, thanks
>
> T tried the same as you did: just execute this small piece of code.
> The first time, nothing was wrong, but executing it again caused word
> showing the messges again.
>
> Catharinus van der Werf
> csvanderw...(a)planet.nl- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I discoverd that the messsages appear in the last two lines. So you
cannot destroy the objects????
Catharinus van der Werf
From: catharinus on
On 13 feb, 14:41, catharinus <csvanderw...(a)planet.nl> wrote:
> On 13 feb, 14:28, catharinus <csvanderw...(a)planet.nl> wrote:
>

> > On 13 feb, 13:19, "MikeD" <nob...(a)nowhere.edu> wrote:
>
> > > "catharinus" <csvanderw...(a)planet.nl> wrote in message

> > > I don't get either of those prompts using your code, even with the commented
> > > lines uncommented.  This is with Word 2007. My best guess as to why you get
> > > them is that you have a different version of Word and the functionality is
> > > different, or, I think there could be a setting in Word to prompt to save
> > > templates. Or a third option might be that there's actually more code you're
> > > not showing us.
>
> > > But I have to ask:  Why are you using Word for this?  Drop a RichTextBox
> > > control onto a form and load the .rtf file in that. The obvious advantage is
> > > that your app will not require Word be installed. If all you're doing is
> > > showing the file, there's very little code you'd have to write, less than
> > > you've already written to use Word to do this.
>
> > > --
> > > Mike- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>
> > > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -
>
> > Oke Mike, thanks
>
> > T tried the same as you did: just execute this small piece of code.
> > The first time, nothing was wrong, but executing it again caused word
> > showing the messges again.
>
> > Catharinus van der Werf
> > csvanderw...(a)planet.nl- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>
> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -
>
> I discoverd that the messsages appear in the last two lines. So you
> cannot destroy the objects????
> Catharinus van der Werf- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Now it works, so you cannot destroy the objects while Word is
working??
Sorry Mike, for not answering your question, but what I want is to
give the user of the application the ability to use word in the
application itself. In fact what I want is give the user to use
whatever textprogram, so for example from Open Office The same is
true for a spreadsheet program: I want to give the user the
opportunity to use a spreadsheet-program whenever needed. So in fact I
shouldn't use the code for Word (as I shouldn't use the colde for
Excel). Do you have a solution for that question?
Thanks
Catharinus van der Werf